Chapter 6

After a night of rest, I awoke to Jasmine nudging me gently. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and sat up to see Rezrath cooking something over the fire- was it a fox?

"Good morning Briar," Rezrath greeted me, his deep voice causing goosebumps to raise on my arms, despite the heat of the desert, "Would you care for some Desert Fox? It is very good,"

I chuckled quietly, "Of course Rezrath, thank you,"

When the fox was cooked, we ate in relative silence, but I could feel Rezrath's eyes burning straight through my head.

"I can feel you're staring at me, what is it?"

"I apologize, Briar, I am just entranced by your beauty and strength," Rezrath admitted, and I caught his blush out of the corner of my eye, "You seem like Why would your kingdom send you out on this death mission to save your brother? Surely there are some good-looking men in Kateon that would want to marry-"

"I went out without permission from my family," I interrupted, looking up at Rezrath, our eyes meeting,"Everyone in the kingdom is leaving him for dead... I couldn't do that. I know he's a strong person, and I just knew he was alive. I know this sounds rash and foolish of me, but-"

"It doesn't sound rash or foolish, Briar," he smiled at me, and I swore I felt my cheeks heat up, "You followed your gut, and you are very brave for it."

The two of us kept eye contact for a few moments, our faces as red as roses. Soon enough, I turned away, my thoughts in an internal war.

He. Is. A. Demon. Why are we even having this conversation? We should not be attracted to that!One voice clamored.

Look at him; he's sweet, poliet, and hot as hell- pun certainly intended. The other countered, How could we not be attracted to that? Another voice countered.

The first voice was silent for a moment, You're right, it admitted, but no one would approve of a relationship between a human and a demon- especially one that is the son of De'mentian

Who said anyone had to approve? It's our life,  we can do what we want.

Before the voices could finish their conversation, Rezrath spoke, "I apologize if I made you uncomfortable-"

"It's okay, Rezrath. You didn't make me uncomfortable at all," I say, a light blush returning to my face, "most human men don't like strong women- they prefer them submissive."

"Human men are foolish and weak," Rezrath grunted, "any man would be lucky to have a strong woman like you in their life."

Silence soon followed, and my heart was beating faster than a horse's gallop. Stop being foolish and lovesick, you've only known him for a day. The voices returned.

But he's hot~ The other one wined.

This was going to be a long journey.