Chapter 7

After finishing our meal, Rezrath and I continued making our way through the Burning Badlands. As we walked, we got to know each other. He was the eldest of the three brothers in the Hellborn Triad, but unlike his brothers or even his father, he was not much of a fighter. While his brothers trained to conquer the human realm, he spent his time in the underworld's vast libraries- reading up on anything and everything, but he said he had a soft spot for human culture.

"I assumed, if I were to lead the conquest of the human realms, I should learn as much about them as possible, and by the devil, you are such fascinating creatures," He rambled, "Is it true that in some places you enslave your own kind to do your bidding?"

"Unfortunately, yes," I replied, "thankfuly, Kateon has had human slavery abolished for about four hundred years now, but there are still kingdoms that have a slavery system in place."

"My brothers always said that after we conquered the human realm, they would take many human servants," Rezrath whispered, "I could never do such a thing. We are all alive, and we should have the right to live how we want to,"

I smiled lightly, and he did the same, "I agree, everyone deserves a free life," I replied.

We continued with our small talk- Rezrath asking questions about human culture, and I, giving the best answer I could.

"So, you've been able to capture wild animals, and they don't maul you to death?" He asked, and I giggled,

"We domesticate them first, of course, but they're really sweet creatures. My family had a dog, an adorable boy with fur the color of silver, and he had the shining eyes of a hunter," I describe, "but despite his intimidation, he would roll on his back and lick your face. His name was Orion."

Rezrath tilted his head, "What happened to Orion?"

I smile sadly, the memories of my dog filling my mind, "He died last year- old age finally caught up to him."

Rezrath frowned, placing a large hand on my shoulder, "I'm sorry, Briar," he looked as though he were about to cry, and my heart melted, "As I am an immortal being, I do not know death, but I am sure the loss of such a beloved creature has impacted you immensely. I am certain he is in a better place now,"

"Thank you, Rezrath, that truly means a lot," I reply, my own eyes beginning to fill with tears.

"Of course, Briar," his hand lightly brushes mine, and I swear I would have fainted right then and there.

"We should stop for the night," Rezrath says, changing the topic, "The Fortress of Damnation isn't that far away now, and we will need all the rest we can get before we storm the stronghold."

I nodded in agreement, and we set up camp for the night, preparing for the fight of our lives to happen the next day.

(Count: 504)