Chapter 10

The future may have given me £1238 but it soon started to take it away from me

I had only been in this weird bustling Florida for a 2 weeks but already I had spent $150 and that was just on transportation, a couple of outfits and a few extra meals.

I didn't really need the extra food, the one meal a day at the hostel was enough to keep me going but the smells that saturated the air, when you wandered down the streets, made my mouth water and reeled me in. Before I had even tried to battle with the desire to eat, I was gorging myself on food such as pizza, fries and burgers. If they had food like this in the past people would never have grumbled about the blandness of their meals.

The transportation, however, was a necessity. I could only walk so far before I got tired. That meant I was forced to spend $1 to travel around the city on what I learnt to be a bus. It was basically just a cramped mode of transport in which people ignored each other even though they were within touching distance.

The only 2 places I ever really travelled to on a regular basis were the library and the music and instrument shop.

It wasn't until I stepped into the library for the first time that I realised how much I missed my education. I hadn't been at a school for 2 nearly 3 years and I felt like my brain almost itched for the chance to read and absorb knowledge.

I had always been bright and learnt quickly so the sights of the thousands of books made my mind buzz with the excitement of the knowledge that they held. Their colourful spines all packed into the shelves just begging to be removed.

I had started simple, reading history books to try and understand how the world had changed from the simple society that prided itself for the sense of community to a time where neighbours didn't talk and a state of undress was fashionable.

Over the days I crammed my head with literary classics, a brief American history, how technology developed, even the dry books about science and English. I stayed away from maths. It wasn't my area of interest. I knew enough to survive in this world. Addition, subtraction, the basics.

As the week drew to a close my brain was saturated with new knowledge, I just wished I had someone to discuss it all with. I felt like I had it all locked up inside me but all I wanted to do was let it explode out of me. To share my excitement with someone else who could understand why I was so exhilarated to learn.

With someone who understood why all this was new to me. For the first time in so many months I wished I could talk to Aslo.

It may have been uncaring not to have thought of him in so long but I had gained such kind friends in DeSoto. I still thought about him now and then but not as often because I was happy with my life finally having friends to fill it.

However now I was back to having no one and I would continue to have no one. But most of all he knew everything about me. He understood about the time travel, he would understand why I loved the library so much, why the books that were filled with facts and fiction set my imagination alight.