Chapter 13

I didn't see Renee for the remainder of the morning and although it bothered me a little not knowing where she was, I focussed on the day ahead of me

I was to meet Casey in an hour down in the reception for our day of shopping.

I had no intention of spending a large amount of my limited funds but I would need to spend some of it just travelling around and getting some food. I had missed my meal at the hostel last night and they didn't serve breakfasts. Then there was the issue of not appearing cheap in front of Casey. She was always in fashionable clothes and so I could only imagine the amount of money she must spend on a shopping trip such as this one, therefore I didn't want to give her an impression of being unworthy of her company just because my funds didn't match hers. It was for this reason that I had given myself the rather large budget of $100. Perhaps I could treat myself to a new outfit to wear in this place or indulge my love of music by buying some of the many tapes on offer.

Clthoes were of the highest importance because I didn't have many clothes I could wear without standing out. Today I had chosen to wear my white and yellow sundress with my white trainers. It was warm enough outside to wear it and I liked the way it reminded me of my first day in Texas and my meeting with Jasper and Katelyn.

I wondered whether they were ever together, like Katelyn had always wished. Whether Jasper ever came to call on her like he had suggested that day we said goodbye. They both deserved happiness but I wasn't sure if they truly would have had that together. Katelyn was excitable and kind but didn't seem observant or caring enough for Jasper to really connect with her. Then again they say opposites attract, that had certainly been the case for Sam and Maggie. They were the perfect team even though they had their differences. It was possible that Jasper could find that with Katelyn.

I sighed and finished making myself suitable for the day. I would have to change back into my t shirt and jeans later on today when Chris came. I doubted a sundress was suitable for skateboarding given the scrapes I had acquired yesterday.

I ran a brush through my long golden hair. It now fell in thick silky angel curls down to rest half way down my chest. I loved having my hair long and flowing but the ends were damaged from when I had slept rough or had a lack of nutrition. Somehow it still had the same satin like texture and shine but the tips were like straw and spoilt the sleek curtain as it fell down my back. I pondered having Renee cut it or me later but I couldn't spend too long in my thoughts. Casey didn't seem the type to enjoy waiting around.

I packed the few basics I would need into my old satchel. Money and my key.

Something had changed in me; I didn't feel the need to carry everything with me any longer. I had lasted yesterday without my bag and it gave me the comfort that I would be ok without having to have it close to me all the time.

My journey with Katelyn had shown me that although the tingle is the thing that decides when and where I travel to I don't have to bend completely to its will. I can put off the jump by a week if I have to. I knew I would never be able to really choose when I jump but I could postpone it once the process had started.