Chapter 21

Random quote: I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry

Random quote: I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too, So we're really not that different, me and you.

How can someone fall so fast?

How is possible that I can go from peaceful oblivion to being consumed by an emotion so foreign to me?

I had spent so many years watching others fall in love, flirt in infatuation and crave the attention of their crush, but I had never experienced it myself. Not even for one second did my mind contemplate taking the leap and allowing myself to fall for someone.

So what had changed?

Why was it that I could no longer exist in the nice frame of mind that was ignorant to the thrills and perils of fantasy and infatuation?

And why did the object of my baffling crush have to be a vampire and a friend I had known since he was a young boy?

I guess it had to be slightly humorous that I would fall for someone who existed outside of the norm when I, myself, lived a life that was far from normal.

Of course, this way of thinking is all negligible, considering that Edward showed nothing that suggested he saw me as anything more than an object of interest. Like I was a puzzling enigma he felt compelled to unravel.

I had thought I had lost any chance of seeing Edward again after our small heated conversation in the fantasy aisle. However, it seemed there was something that refused to let us separate, for Edward soon came back with another apology and sat with me in peaceful company 'til Steven told us the library was closing.

We had been continuing our odd interactions for the past two weeks now and, although this could just be in my hopeful mind, I thought we had formed a strange kind of friendship. It felt like happiness had hit me like a train on a track and I was helpless to try and ignore it, even if it held a very real risk.

We always met in the library, but gradually we had escaped the stone confines into the fresh springtime air, walking through the town much to the interest of the residents. It seemed only I had noticed the curious glances, because Edward never showed any awareness to the staring eyes. Instead he focussed his amber eyes on mine, more often than I could allow myself to dream of.

When I looked back on these past two weeks I could come up with no way that I could have avoided falling head over heels for him. I often wondered if it was purely because he was attractive, although I hated this possibility. I had never thought myself to be so conceited as to fall for someone so deeply just because they were dazzling to look at. However, I would be a fool to say that his good looks hadn't played a part in my feelings. They had been the first building blocks, laid down at first sight and forming the foundation of an intense infatuation. The strength of which could surely trick any girl into believing in love at first sight. However, I knew there could be a more sinister reason for why I felt like gravity pulled me towards him. It couldn't be ignored, given how we had first met in this place. It was unfortunately clear to me that, like a Venus fly trap, he gave off a vibe that enticed me to come closer and give myself willingly to the predator in him.