Prologue: The Announcement

Diana Marchand has always known that her fate was at the end of her father's hands. She had always remembered the time when he announced that she will be married to her brother's best friend—the future Alpha of the Shadow Pack—her fate has been sealed.

Well, that was always the worst part of her life.

Diana had been 21 years old when her father announced that she was engaged to Caleb Andino. Being the girl that she was—naïve and didn't go against her father's wishes—Diana obeyed like a good daughter. She would smile and nod as her father was telling her the good news.

But, was it really good news?
Diana has always known that her father wanted to overthrow the current Alpha, Caleb's father, and make the pact for himself. But thankfully, those ideals were not being fulfilled as her father was dead when he threatened to kill Caleb's, true mate.

Marina Kasun, a descendant from the Old Council and the worthy mate for Caleb.

Diana attended their wedding and she was happy to see them together. Even when her heart yearned to have something like their love. Then, it all happened so suddenly that Diana was thrown back as she was turning to see someone staring at her.

Someone with green eyes and black hair.

She clapped for the lovely couple before she was excusing herself to get away from Arthur Adamos, the warrior pack, and their leader—a Gamma, who was the third strongest in their pack. Do not panic, do not panic, he would not hurt you, Diana reminded herself before she was running away from the ceremony where Sebastian was officiating the mating ceremony.

Diana was wearing a simple green dress that showed off her tan skin and brown hair with grey eyes. She was just like the other werewolves in this pack.

Tan skin.

Grey eyes.

Brown hair.

It was nothing special. She has always prayed that her mate would be different and they would have beautiful children together. Diana wasn't expecting this.

Arthur Adamos, the fearsome warrior.

She was running through the woods as she was trying to get away from the attraction that she was feeling for Arthur. It was not a good sign. Her wolf has already scented it.

'Mine,' she purred before Diana was pushing the thought away. She had to get away and she had to be safe before—

"You're early to leave when your ex-fiancé is getting married," said the deep baritone of the man that she was trying to get away from. Arthur was in front of her, leaning against the tree as if he was born to do so. Diana crossed her arms before she was arching her eyebrow at him, trying to show that she was not intimidated by him.

"And why is that any of your problem, Adamos? If I remember correctly, you should be in that wedding as well, not in this forsaken forest with someone that you despise," she said before Arthur chuckled slowly.

"Despise? Is that what you thought I was thinking when I was staring at you?" he asked before Diana was looking at him. Like really looked at him and saw that his eyes were intense and he was clenching his jaws as Arthur Adamos was staring at her.

Diana gulped for she just realized what his stare meant, meeting her eyes. She just refused to acknowledge it and just forget about the Gamma that was playing games with her heart. She scoffed before she was turning to look away from his gaze.

"Well, it was always the same. The brooding Arthur Adamos thought he was better than anyone else. Maybe I am right and you just don't want to realize that," Diana said before she was making a move to get away from him. Arthur moved as well, toward her. She stopped.