Chapter 21

Recap: 

Ruba paused in front of her mirror and looked at herself. “I don’t know Maria. Stop magic forever?”

* * *

Ruba was performing a spell in her room with the lights off and the only source of light being her candles. 

“Oh bring forward the lost item, the item that was lost and never found.” Ruba chanted. 

Ruba poured a purple powder on the pentagram to finish her spell, all of a sudden the candles flickered and she saw the two black shadow figures coming towards her. Ruba tried to chant a spell to protect her, to banish the shadows. 

Nothing came out of her mouth. It was if someone had zipped her mouth and she couldn’t say anything. Ruba tried opening her mouth, but it wouldn’t open. 

If Ruba couldn’t perform a spell to banish the shadows, she thought of her next option. 

To run! 

Ruba tried to get up and run away, but she couldn’t. 

Glued. 

Something was pulling her towards the ground. The more she tried to get up, the more she got pulled. 

Ruba tossed and turned and tried to get up, but she couldn’t! She was stuck and she didn’t know why. The shadows were about a few inches close to Ruba and she still couldn’t move. The dark shadows were coming closer and closer until they were right in front of her and they-

Ruba woke up vigorously from her dream; confused and scared. Ruba felt scared because she had seen the dark shadow figures in her room and now they were haunting her dreams.

Ruba stayed still in her bed, too scared to move. She scanned her bedroom and saw that it was clear and that there was nothing lurking about. Ruba hopped out of bed and headed straight to her desk. She grabbed a revealing spell and started chanting.

Ruba wanted to know what the shadows were and why they were haunting her.

As Ruba was performing the spell, her mum walked in. Ruba’s head snapped towards her door.

“Mum!” Ruba yelled ashamed.

“Ruba, wh- get up now!” Kaitlin demanded.

“Mum, it’s not what you think!” Ruba was scared of what her mum would do to her. It’s a secret that she kept from her mum for years.

Kaitlin walked up to Ruba and calmly spoke, “Ruba… you get rid of all this now.”

“Mum, it’s not what it looks like!” Ruba begged to explain.

“Ruba…” Kaitlin’s voice started to rise. “…Ruba I am not going to argue with you! Pack all of this up and get rid of it!” Kaitlin shouted.

Ruba ran up to her mum and grabbed her arm. “Please, let me explain!”

Kaitlin knocked Ruba’s arm off and anger built up through her. “Ruba, listen to me! You pack this up now!”

“Mu-“ Ruba got cut off from her mum.

“Ruba, please!” Kaitlin turned around, too disappointed to look at Ruba. She placed her hand on the back of her neck. “I should have known this was coming!” She turned to face Ruba and questioned. “You took after your father?!” Kaitlin paused and carried on. “That’s why I left him.”

Ruba started to stutter. “My-my-my dad?”

“Yes Ruba! Please just clear it all up and get rid of it… please.” Kaitlin’s voice was more sincere and caring.