01

School today is just like every other day.

The teacher walks in, teaches a noisy class and leaves. Good thing I sit at the front. I don't miss a word because I pay vivid attention. Unlike most students here, I am really at Western College to learn.

My parents can't afford to take me to a better school due to financial issues. So, I am stuck with the school closest to home and as cheap as lollipops, Western College.

Western College is infamously known for cheating during external examinations, making the school very populated and beyond the school's building capacity.

Mrs Nkem, The Geography teacher who is revising 'Map Reading' gets disrupted by the sound of a revving car engine and the sounds of hooting students who run towards the window to see who the cause of that revving engine was.

The teacher tried to control the students from leaving their seats but you can only control a few out of over 100 students in a single sandwiched class.

Mrs Nkem angrily stomps the floor and leaves the class

Oops!

She is leaving?

I ran towards her to apologize on behalf of the students and plead that she continued teaching.

Map reading has been a difficulty for me, I don't know why. Perhaps the previous Geography Teacher did not do a good job at teaching it to my understanding.

I tried heading for his office one time to explain 'The big bang theory' in a more broader sense since I liked the topic but he started making advances at me. I quickly left.

The last thing I would ever do is sleeping with an old married teacher.

I never bothered him for help ever since that incident and subjected to  solving my Geography problems on my own, which was very few.

He got sacked late last year for impregnating a student and having affairs with the junior girls. So pathetic!

I did not realize my leg just hit something strong because I was too lost in thoughts and my eyes were on Mrs Nkem who was walking away furiously.

On hitting the object my right foot lost its balance and I was sure I was going to hit the floor anytime soon but I felt a firm grip on my waist which sent sweet shockwaves to my system and I wondered why.

Having gained my balance once again, I thanked the guy who helped me and continued my chase for the Geography teacher.

Arriving the staff room, I went straight to the Geography teacher and pleaded that she had mercy on our misbehavior.

She definitely had to act stubborn but I apologized either way and asked her if she could teach me since the other students weren't ready.

Map reading always comes up in WAEC (West African Examination Council). Passing this external exam is compulsory if you have plans on going to a university.

Mrs Nkem taught me and when the bell rang,signifying the next lecture, I walked out of the staffroom after thanking Mrs Nkem for the lecture on Map reading.

The next of the school day unfolded uneventually, it was time to go home.

I walked down the stairs absentmindedly, noticed a pull of student gathered around something but I did not care to find out, I wanted to get home and hopefully there was food to eat, I am very hungry, I did not take breakfast and its like 2pm right now and by the time I get home it would be almost 3pm.

I hope dad has gone drinking again or I pray he is sober because he is always drunk most of the time and living with his arrogant character is hell.

Mom must be in market now, selling provisions. You know how a man Is supposed to be the breadwinner of the house while they are alive? Well, its different in our home, my mom is the breadwinner and the only thing my dad has provided for us since I could understand anything is the house we currently live in, which was given to him by his late father. My father is a lazy drunkard and I would have felt all men were the same if I did not have a senior brother who actually works to earn money while juggling school works as a part time university student in Unilag.

"Pssssssst!" I heard the sound of a whistle call

"What's her name?" A gruffy voice asked.

And I hastened my footsteps, I was still in the school's compound

"I don't know" a voice said

"Is she not the library prefect?" Another voice asked.

"Yes,its Senior Audrey!" another voice said

"Audrey?!" The voice from earlier called and I could tell because of the slight gruffines in the tone.

I became nervous, I don't know if I should look up or keep walking.

Why am I nervous?

I shouldn't act cowardly in front of the junior students and perhaps a few seniors.

So, I looked up.

The crowd was splitted into two showing a group of boys leaning on a black car, I gulped.

One of the guys raised two fingers, flipped it forward and backward, signifying I come over.

So, I did.

I walked slowly, trying to drink up my fears as I counted each step I took to get to him.

******
First Chapter done, how did you enjoy reading it?

What kind of character do you see Audrey as?

Peace Out✌🏾
-Ebere🖤