Books

You sit there in silence, slowly coming to the realization that the child that was rain soaked was not the one that had woken you for the fiftieth time this long night. Slowly your eyes adjusted to the darkness of your surroundings and you could only make out the outline of another child, this one much thinner and possibly older. You weren't sure if you were safe with this child, or if they even existed. Your mind had to have been playing tricks on you. But then they spoke.
"I think they're gone now." They whispered softly, leaning over to look through a small crack and listening intently for any movement. The pulled away from the wall and lightly sighed,"no. One or two are guarding the door." They answered themselves quickly. They shuffled a bit struggling to get comfortable. You studied them for a bit, not exactly sure if you could trust them, but figured you might as well ask what was going on. Children are easy thing to fool, making it easy to form a false friendship if needed. Listening quietly to your many questions they began to answer.
"I'm not sure what's going on, I'm just glad that I'm not the only one here. I haven't seen any one else besides those children and you." They answered. You couldn't help but feel bad for the kid. The two of you sat in silence, listening to the gentle tapping of feet not too far away. Thunder screamed in an agonized tone, making the house tremble at its fury. This sent the tapping feet off down the halls. They were gone. The child peaked through the small crack in the wall before ever so silently climbing out.
"Stay there." The ordered, slinking over to the door. You backed away into the shadows. You always lived children, and their games. In fact, you were always a child at heart and still fancy yourself to be a kid. Many adults would agree that you were technically still a kid. But now, you found a fear of children. There was something about that little girl that made you hate children, making it difficult to trust the one that was now at the door on the other end of the room.
You watched nervously as the carefully opened the door. No light greeted them, the power was out on this side of the building too now. You could barely see their tiny figure as they cautiously stepped into the hall way. After a bit they carefully made their way back,"it's good, they're gone now." The assured softly, trying hard not to make any unnecessary sounds. You climbed out of the cramped hiding spot and stretched your aching legs and arms. A feeling of momentary comfort flooding your stiff limbs. The child was now at the door, looking down the hall way again and again. They shied back into the dark room and shivered. They opened their mouth to speak but where cut off by two ear splitting screams. The child covered his ears and backed away from the door, you found yourself doing the same. The screams were cut off just as quickly as they started, ending with a muffled and very faint gurgling noise. The child burst through the door, "they're close, we have to go!" The whispered as the took off. You didn't want to follow them, but didn't want to be alone either. You hesitantly ran after the kid, retreating in the opposite direction of the screams.
"Don't look back!" They repeated, sprinting off. You struggled to go any faster than how fast you were going, barely keeping up with the kid. You wanted to glance over your shoulder but feared what waited for you. The child threw open a door, quickly shutting and locking it after you made it into the room.
You looked around, surrounded by towering bookshelves lines with books of all sorts. Had it had been any other type of situation, you would have loved to find a good book, settle down, and read it. Better than all the books, there was actually some light in the room. Although you couldn't figure out where the light was coming from. You turned to the kid, whom slowly backed away from the door.
The child had short hair, like the first one you saw earlier this awful night. Their hair looked like it was dirty blond. They turned to face you, showing that they had dried blood caked to their head, staining his hair, making it more likely he was just blond. His face was bruised and he looked as tired as you felt.
He quickly pushed a small collection if sitting chairs in front of the door. He took off in one of the many rows of books. You struggled to follow after, loosing him in a labyrinth of knowledge. More concerning my, when you circled back, the blockade was destroyed, and the door was open.