Chapter Ten

✩ ⋆ ☽ ⋆ ✩ ⋆ ☾ ⋆ ✩
CHAPTER TEN
HEART MONITOR
✩ ⋆ ☽ ⋆ ✩ ⋆ ☾ ⋆ ✩

MIA TAPPED HER PEN against her desk as she stared out the window. Her brother was in the seat diagonally in front of her, and thankfully the seat in behind him was empty at the moment. She didn't want to face her friend and ignore him, especially since he had perfected the way to get back into her good graces when they were eight.

"Still not talking to me?" Scott looked from Stiles to Mia, who clenched her jaw. "Come on Mia."

Stiles looked back to his sister before turning to face the front of the classroom. He knew that his younger sister was angry at their friend, and he didn't blame her. Their father had gotten hurt and instead of helping him, Scott had protected Allison.

"Can you at least tell me if your dad's okay?" Scott let out a sigh. "I mean, it's just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage?"

Mia bit the inside of her cheek to refrain from yelling at her best friend and creating a scene. She didn't understand how he could protect a girl he met less than a month ago before their father, who he had known for the majority of his life.

"You know I feel really bad about it, right?"

He turned toward Mia and noticed the hurt in her eyes as she moved her gaze to the window. She was never one to ignore him for long, but she was determined to not speak to the werewolf until he redeemed himself.

Mia was beyond terrified of losing her father, and Scott knew that. He knew that she had nightmares about being alone and losing everyone she loved. When she saw her dad come home with his injury, Mia was furious. She called Scott within minutes to ask what happened, and hung up the minute he said that he protected Allison as her father got hurt.

"Okay," he sighed. "What if I told you that I'm trying to figure this whole thing out, and that I went to Derek for help?"

Stiles sighed to himself as Mia tapped her foot against the floor.

"If I was talking to you, I'd say that you're an idiot for trusting him." Stiles paused for a moment before continuing his thought. "But, obviously, I'm not talking to you."