8 | THE RIGHT KIND OF WRONG

Arryn twirled around in front of the mirror and studied her butt in the black pencil skirt

Arryn twirled around in front of the mirror and studied her butt in the black pencil skirt. Pleased with the way it hugged her hips, she went back to the closet to choose a top. A pang of regret tightened her chest. This night was about seduction, and she wasn't sure she had any clothing sexy enough.

The pale pink silk was cute, but the bottom button was missing. Why did she obsess over such a small detail? If things went according to plan, Devon wouldn't be paying attention to buttons, except to undo them and get her naked.

She stuck it back in the closet and held up the lemonade Juliette midi dress with a sweetheart neckline to show off the twins, and the side slit to accentuate her legs. She had worn it once for a party with Gianna, so she mind as well get her money's worth after forking over two-hundred dollars for the outfit at Reformation.

The ensemble wasn't the typical honky-tonk flair, but that would make her stand out in the crowd, or she should say competition. There'd be plenty of women there wanting to hook up just as she was. Well, the rest of them probably didn't want to get pregnant. According to Darcy, since Devon's divorce, he'd never brought a woman to a company function, so she didn't have a clue what kind of woman he preferred.

Younger and thinner. The words pounded in her head. She spun around again to check out the finished product. She didn't have a skinny bone in her body. Everything was full and rounded. How depressing. She'd never picked up a man in a bar or had a one-night stand. If he rejected her, what would be her next move? Go back to the dating game?

She'd practiced make-believe conversation all week, and read about him in the company newsletters. Fantasized about him at night. How it would feel to stand next to him. To be in his arms. Kiss him. Closing her eyes, she prayed for strength to finish her scheme.

Rhys rinsed the toothpaste from his mouth and wondered why he'd agreed to the night out

Rhys rinsed the toothpaste from his mouth and wondered why he'd agreed to the night out. A public bar hadn't been his choice of entertainment in a while and certainly not a redneck saloon. Women were there. Lonely. Desperate. Although those types could be a good thing for his hormones, he'd made his no-pickup rule long ago and stuck to it. Most were interested in finding another daddy for their children. If there was one thing he didn't want, it was raising another man's kids, and dealing with a jerk of an ex-husband. No woman was worth that. Not to him. He wouldn't let a one-night fling ruin his future. Surviving a tour in Iraq and one woman's crazy was his limit.