Chapter 13

"I'm so exhausted," May said breathing deeply. 

After dancing for so long, we had decided to take a much-needed break. We had luckily managed to nab a seat on one of the sofas. 

"Yeah, they really shouldn't have played all the best songs in a row like that." I sighed, as I recollected the last half-an-hour we had spent dancing.

April, who I hadn't seen for a while now, popped her head in between us. I almost jumped out of my seat not expecting her to just show up so abruptly. 

"Hey there April..." said Chloe slurring her speech as she reached out to stroke April's face. She was getting a little tipsy after her consistent trips back to the kitchen, to get more alcohol.

 "Sorry, she's a little drunk," I said feeling embarrassed by the way she was acting.

 "Don't be, there's no harm in getting a little tipsy," she said dismissively. "Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys wanted to come down to the basement to play a few games with me and a few others?" April asked chirpily.

"Yeah sure. Let's go guys," May said clambering to her feet in excitement.

 Reluctantly, I got up to follow her, but Chloe remained firmly in her seat. 

"Nah, I'm good. You guys go ahead. I'll just stay here and take a nap," she said messily waving her hand around, indicating for us to go ahead.

 I was a bit nervous to leave her alone as there was no telling what she could do when drunk. However, she looked so tired that it hardly seemed like she could get into much trouble, so I decided to let her be. 

"Okay see you later. Don't do anything I wouldn't do," I said pointing a finger at her in warning. I then quickly skipped away to catch up with the others.

Once we were in the basement, April demanded we all get in a circle. I complied and sat on the floor next to May and some random dude with strangely colored auburn hair. Looking around, I spotted Ben a couple of spaces across from me who gave me a little friendly wave, upon us making eye contact. 

Continuing my scan for familiar faces, my eyes stumbled upon Ethan. 

How was this guy everywhere? 

He barely seemed to notice that I was here, and continued with whatever conversation he was having with Lucas. I didn't recognize anyone else apart from that. Everyone else were just various people from school, that I never conversed with. 

"So, now that enough people are gathered, we can start. We're going to be playing a game of Truth and Dare." April said, clapping her hands together in an overly excited manner. 

She then downed the bottle of beer in her hand before placing it into the middle of the circle. I raised my eyebrows in amusement, as I watched her squeeze into a non-existent space beside Ethan. He shifted uncomfortably and pushed himself further against Lucas so he could increase the distance between the two of them. 

Well, that was odd. Why wouldn't a teenage boy like himself, want to have a hot girl like April squished up against their side?

"Okay, who wants to spin first?" April asked as she scanned around the circle for any volunteers.

 "Me. Me. Me," May said almost jumping out of her seat comically. I looked away, feeling ashamed that my friend was acting like a toddler on a sugar rush. 

May didn't even wait for April to respond, and immediately crawled into the middle of the circle and gave it a whirl. I watched the bottle with narrowed eyes. It spun around at a dizzying speed, which only seemed to add to my anxiousness.