Chapter 46

We entered the cabin, and Ethan walked over to the sofa and placed me gently down onto it. I shivered slightly, feeling cold from the loss of his warm body.

 He immediately noticed and rushed off to the bathroom before returning with a towel, which he wrapped around my shoulders. 

"What about you?" I said as I observed his equally soaked clothes. 

"I'm fine," he said. 

"But..." I started to say. 

"I said I'm fine, Mia," he stated more firmly this time.

 Before I could say anything else, the rest of the cabin came bursting in. Chloe and May immediately rushed towards me and wrapped their arms around me, to envelope me in a tight hug. 

I giggled as I hugged them back, but then, I was hit with a wave of guilt, knowing my carelessness had caused my best friends so much pain. After a while, they finally pulled back. 

"God, that was scary. I thought you were dead," Chloe said as tears streamed down her face. 

"I'm so sorry for worrying you guys, I'm such an idiot," I groaned, thinking back to how foolish it was for me to stand on a slippery bank. 

"We're just glad you're okay," May said as she looked up at me with a soft smile. 

"I think I'm going to go have a shower, I smell disgusting," I laughed, as I stood up to go grab some dry clothes.

I was just about to enter the bathroom when Ethan stopped me by blocking my way. "Don't lock the door, Mia, you could faint, and nobody would know," he said in a serious tone. 

"Fuck no! Anyone could just walk in," I exclaimed as I eyed him up and down like an idiot. 

 He rolled his eyes. "Relax, I'll guard the door for you and make sure nobody goes in," he sighed. 

"Okay, fine, whatever," I grumbled, deciding it was the easiest way to get him to shut up.

After I had finished with my shower, I returned to our room, all ready for bed, wearing my matching tank top and shorts pajama set. I had sprawled myself out on my cabin bed, and I was staring up at the ceiling deep in thought. 

Ethan was currently taking his shower, and it was the furthest he had been from me since he had pulled me out of the lake. He didn't seem to want to let me out of his sight! To be honest, I was surprised he hadn't asked me to sit in the bathroom with him so he could monitor my breathing or some shit.

Soon I heard footsteps draw closer from the corridor. The door swung open, and Ethan walked in. 

Correction, a shirtless Ethan walked in.

 I swallowed harshly, and my eyes trailed slowly over his naked torso. I couldn't help but linger in particular on his shorts, which hung teasingly low on his hips, revealing a deep and delicious looking V-line.

I knew there was going to be a positive side of sharing a room with him...

With much struggle, I finally managed to drag my eyes back to his face. I let out a weird choking sound in surprise as I found him staring right at me. 

Shit, he had totally just seen me check him out. 

I immediately broke eye contact in embarrassment and internally kicked myself for being so obvious.

When my shame has subsided some, I snuck another look at him. He was still staring at me, with a tilted head, and a far-away look in his eyes. He seemed to be deep in thought so I decided to break the silence.