𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚-𝑬𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

╔════════════════╗

𝑹𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕

╚════════════════╝

VINDICATIO entered the room he had left Syretia in. He found her asleep on top of the covers. He reached over to pull the covers over her but she shifted too quickly in her sleep. He listened closer, her breathing was too forced and her heart was beating too fast. She was faking it.

"Why are you pretending to be asleep?" He asked, sitting down on the side of the bed.

"Because I'm mad at you," her reply was muffled by the pillow she had buried her face into.

"Because of last night?"

"Duh!" She rolled over, crossing her arms across her chest. "You acted like a complete and utter jackass! I didn't deserve to be spoken to like that."

"I'm sorry, Syretia," Vindicatio replied, turning towards her.

"Anyone can say they're sorry, but not everyone has the gull to show just how sorry they are."

"How would one go about that?" He asked, head tilting in curiosity.

"Well, for starters he could explain to me why he acted like that," Vindicatio opened his mouth. "I'm not finished. After doing so he can show me what it means to have a 'mate', because I for one, do not understand. It's like a glorified girlfriend that you get set up with randomly."

"It's not random," Vindicatio replied, "it's predestined."

"So there's a higher power, like in that story Welma told me about the first mates. Halwende and Aysel?" Vindicatio nodded.

"Alright. Now go ahead and explain yourself before we get off-topic."

"I acted out because of jealousy. I, as a wolf, do not know how to tolerate that emotion. I don't know how to suppress it enough so that it doesn't make me erupt in a fit of rage. I shouldn't have taken it out on you, I realized that last night after everyone fell asleep. You were right with everything you said, Syretia. I shouldn't have said that I wished you were something you aren't that wasn't fair of me. I've never apologized to anyone before so I'm really trying here... I said that I was a follower of instincts and right now they're telling me to not back down, to hold my ground. But I'm casting them aside, Syretia, I'm backing down and acknowledging my faults," he reached out and grabbed her smaller hand, her paler skin contrasting against his olive complexion. "We're going to go at a pace you're comfortable with, I'm not forcing you to be my mate or to even be my friend. But what I do ask of you is to not fall for that other male before my eyes." Syretia sat quietly, fumbling with her fingers, mulling over what he was saying. "Syretia, look at me," she looked up, her blue eyes meeting his amber ones. "I'm grateful that you're here, you came here on behalf and because of that, my heart skips a beat. It's a foreign concept... finally having someone doing something out of selflessness for me. I'll treasure this moment forever."

"I suppose everyone deserves a second chance," Syretia replied, "just remember that next time you're mad and fired up by jealousy to not take it out on me because I won't hesitate to find my own way back to The U.S. and leave you here." Vindicatio nodded as he gave Syretia a lopsided smile.