CHAPTER 20

WHY DID I LISTEN TO MY HEART?

"Hey Brooks how about we come here some other time? We can go over to my house now. I'm sure Bruno will be waiting for you. He loved you the last time you came." Rebecca says, grabbing my elbow to pull me out but i pull away from her grasp, "I won't let him ruin today Rebecca. Let's just go sit somewhere far."

She looks nervously at me, "You sure?" I nod and we take a table at the far end of the shop, away from David and Luke.

We order our waffles and drinks and when the waiter moves, I catch a glimpse of Luke talking to David. His eyes flit in my direction for a second before he looks back at his plate.

I pull my lips in a thin line when I turn back, "How do you and Liam do it, Rebecca? You'll have not had a single fight since you'll got together." 

She sighs, "Listen Brooks. Personally I feel like Luke isn't the type to just up and ignore for no reason and I think he isn't doing this by choice."

I scrunch my eyebrows, "What makes you think that?" She smiles, "He's staring at you right now." I turn to see him indeed looking at me, but when he catches my eye he looks back at David and pretends nothing ever happened.

"His eyes probably just crossed my direction." I shrug and she shakes her head, "No Brooklyn. He still looks at you when you're not looking back. In school, here, everywhere he sees you."

"Okay, that's a little creepy." I muse and she chuckles, "It's creepy the way I worded it, but I swear it's cute when you see it happen."

I bite my lip and smile. Is he really doing this for a reason? But he wouldn't have told Zoe what he did, if he was. But I just caught him staring. But maybe as I said, his eyes crossed my direction. Oh god, okay I need to get to the end of this.

I stand up from my seat and walk over to their table and Luke groans. David shoots him a glare and looks up at me, "Hey Brooklyn." I smile, "David...can I talk to you for a second?" He glances at Luke before nodding, "Sure."

I take him to a corner and stand in front of him, "Okay what's going on with Luke?" I hiss and he shakes his head, "I honestly don't know Brooklyn. The last I heard something about you from him was Friday evening." I narrow my eyes, "What did he say?"

He opens his mouth and shuts it, looking away, "Should not have said that." I slap his arm, "David! You know something!" His eyes widen, "Okay fine. He just told me that you guys kissed and believe me, he seemed pretty excited about it."

I bite my lip and grin. He really liked it then. Why did he tell Zoe otherwise? Oh my god. Luke Johnson was excited about our kiss. Okay I can't believe he actually told David this, that means it actually meant something to him.

"Brooklyn you aren't even listening to me, are you?" David rolls his eyes and I look up, "Huh? Sorry, I missed it. Can you repeat?"

He scrunches his nose, "I don't even want to know what you were thinking about, but I said that he mentioned something about him going to miss you." He looks up, "Him going to miss you. Is that the correct way to word this? Going to have to miss you...going to miss you..." He keeps mumbling while I try to piece this all together.

So Rebecca was right. He's not doing this by choice.

"Wait so he said that he'll have to miss me? Not anything along the lines of 'I'm finally done with her, now I can move on?'" I ask and David looks confusedly at me, "No not at all. Brooklyn, the guy likes you. How can't you see that? Me being a guy can see it."

 "He does?" I ask softly and David nods, "Yes he does. Now please you guys have to fix whatever this is between you'll fast, coz I don't think I can deal with even one more day of grumpy, depressed Luke. He's not even competitive when he's playing Fortnite with me anymore, it makes everything so boring man!"