CHAPTER 39

MATCHMAKER FAILS

"Hey Skittles." Luke pulls me into a hug when I greet him at his door the next day. I hug him back, taking in his fresh aftershave and minty scent. He had called me over early because he apparently had something to show me.

Joyful carols fill my ears as we walk into his room. When we reach, he keeps his hands behind his back while bouncing on his feet. I look at him expectedly and he motions his head to his room, "See anything different?"

I scrunch my brows and look around. And that's when I see it. He had framed my painting and hung it on the wall behind his bed, where a huge black and white Cristiano Ronaldo poster was before.

"Luke, you actually framed it?" I ask, turning to him and he smiles, "It's beautiful" I frown, "If I knew you were going to frame it, I would've done something better. This isn't even that good." He scoffs, "Skittles are you crazy? You underestimate your art so much! And plus the fact that you specially painted it for me makes it even better."

I look down and smile, "Thanks." He grins and pulls me in a hug. Then suddenly he moves away and walks to his table and from behind a huge pile of study books, produces a blue, rectangular gift.

He positions himself in front of me and places the box in my hands, "Open it." He softly says. I look down at the box and at him, "Luke you'll already gave me a book voucher, I don't need anything else." He chuckles, "My parents gave you a book voucher. I didn't." 

"The Johnsons did." I point out and he rolls his eyes, "Yeah yeah, but apart from being a Johnson, I'm also your boyfriend. So this is my gift to you. Go ahead and open it."

"This better not be anything fancy." I mutter and he shakes his head, "Not that much." I glance at him for a second before going back to removing the tapes shabbily stuck everywhere. "Just-just ignore my wrapping skills, I did this fast." He mutters and I chuckle, finally removing the whole wrapper.  

My jaw drops when I see what it is. "Luke what the hell?!" I exclaim, staring wide eyed at the Iphone 11 box looking completely out of place in my hands. He shrugs, "You didn't have a phone, so I got you one." I look up at him and honestly if it were anything other than a freaking Iphone in my hands, I would've slapped it on his face. Well, if it wasn't an Iphone, this problem wouldn't have occurred at all.

"Luke this is the freaking Iphone 11! It's like 700 dollars, what were you thinking buying this for me?" I shout at him and he rolls his eyes, "You're being dramatic Skittles." I shake my head and take in a deep breath to calm myself down, "Luke." I say, "I know that you're rich. I know that you can buy anything, but that does not mean you go around buying me expensive gifts every time."

He grins, "You're my girlfriend Skittles, I'm allowed to spoil you with gifts. And anyway, in the future this money will be yours too. You'll be equally rich." I stare at him, confusedly and he winks. That's when I get what he meant and I feel my cheeks furiously heat up as I slap his chest, "Don't change the topic!"

He chuckles and goes and sits on his bed, scrolling through his phone, "Okay." I sigh and sit next to him, "Luke please. Seriously I don't know if you used to do this for your previous girlfriends and they used to like it, but I don't. Listen, I really appreciate you buying these things for me, but I don't need them for you to prove that you love me."

"I don't buy them to prove that I love you Skittles, I buy them because I want to and just so you know, no other girlfriend had this privilege before. I keep the best for the last." He smirks and leans forward, placing a kiss on my cheek. His last sentence weirdly touched me, but I still can't shake off the fact that he freaking used up 700 dollars on me. Why would he waste his money on me like that?