Chapter 36

Ava's pov

Waking up this morning was a nightmare. Last night was amazing. I enjoyed dinner with Susan and Maxwell but the true highlight for me was being at Aiden's place.

He truly made me feel welcomed. His hospitality was so great that I almost started to believe I could actually visit there more often.

When he dropped me off at my apartment all I did was fall onto my bed and sleep.

I woke up this morning with the same dress I wore last night as well as my makeup still plastered on my face.

That wasn't the worst part of it. The worst part was the fact that I had a headache, an extremely painful one at that.

I was currently in my office when I got a knock on my door. I invited whomever it was in only to see a person I've never met before.

Once they were fully settled in the office, they spoke 'Ms. Hilson I am Mr. Hyde, a member of the board of directors and I am here to inform you that you are needed in a board meeting right away'

Confused as to what was truly going on, I asked 'I don't mean to be impolite but I must ask what is the meeting about? I am not aware of such meeting'

'It is unexpected for us too. We noticed something that needs to be addressed immediately'

'Okay then. I'm sure it's nothing that cannot be handled straight away'

'I'm afraid it may not be the case' was his response. The tone in his voice and the words he uttered caused panic within me.

What could possibly be the issue? Why do the board of directors want to have a meeting with me? Are there other staff members there also?

I followed him closely behind silently as we made our way to where the so-called meeting would be held.

I could not ignore the nervousness and anxiety that I felt within. I needed to know what was going on and fast.

We ended up going down a different floor that I wasn't familiar with. When we got to the door there was another man at the door.

The man held the door open while greeting Mr. Hyde and I. We made our way in only to see more people seated around a table discussing between themselves.

Noticing that someone else had joined them they stopped and looked at the direction of where Mr. Hyde and I stood.

'Ms. Hilson have a seat, great of you to join us'

I sat down in one of two empty seats. Once I was fully seated, I observed the people around me.

There were about twelve different faces in the room. Most people I was unfamiliar with, but I've seen them around the office a few times.

While some, I knew from meetings with Aiden. Speaking of Aiden, he was also in the room, but the strange thing was he could not seem to look at me.

It was as if it took everything in his power for his eyes not to meet mine.

A feeling I was unfamiliar with started brewing inside me. What could possibly be the issue that he could not bear the chance of looking in my direction.

This meeting cannot be for a good reason and I don't know what is happening.

'Ms. Hilson I am sure you are aware of why you are brought here today' A man spoke up while the room slowly became quiet. From the looks of it he was the head of this meeting.

'I'm afraid I am not sir'

'Since you want to have selected amnesia now, let me remind you of the crime you have committed' the man uttered with slight rage in his voice. I could sense he was finding it difficult to hold his composure.