part 14. research and plumage.

In the underworld.

Sirzechs and Grayfia go to a research center and meet up with a fellow devil king Ajuka. A tall man with green hair stands in his lab doing his research.

Sirzechs: hello Ajuka. How are you?

Ajuka: ah Sirzechs and Grayfia. I'm busy as always. So what brings you here?

Sirzechs: something that may change the course of history.

Sirzechs says in a serious tone making Ajuka alert.

Ajuka: whenever you use that tone I can tell that you are serious. What's going on?

Sirzechs tells him the story Kuroka told him and showed him the hair clip. Ajuka examines it and notices that there quite a few powerful seals on it.

Ajuka: the seals alone make me worried. Just what was Shalba doing?

Sirzechs: that's what we all want to know so I came to you. I know that you can break the seals.

Ajuka: glad you have faith in me. This will take a few days or even a few weeks. It's hard to say.

Grayfia: as long as it's done. That's all that matters.

Ajuka: I'll get right on it.

Sirzechs: did you find out why Issei's pawn pieces lost their abilities?

Ajuka: no but I do have a theory.

Grayfia: that when he removed them, he absorbed the properties. If that's the case then I don't know what changes may have occured in Issei.

Sirzechs: interesting. Guess we will just have to wait and see. In the mean time, why not ask Azazel to help you?
He's a fellow scientist after all.

Ajuka: excellent idea. That would help out a lot.

Both Sirzechs and Grayfia leave to do their jobs as devil king and queen. Ajuka calls Azazel who appears via teleportation.

Azazel: so what's the interesting news?

Ajuka: there are two actually. 1 involves illegal research related to enhancement sealed in this hair clip and 2 the forcefully removed pawn pieces which lost its attributes after its owner removed said pieces. Interested?

Azazel: hell yeah bro. I assume that the owner of said pieces is dead right?

Ajuka: he is very much alive. Issei Hyoudo is a unique existence, he's the first to survive such an event.

Azazel: wait... Issei? Rias's pawn? I though he was dead.

Ajuka: no. He's doing just fine.

Azazel: I missed that guy. He was my drinking buddy, I used to form contracts with him under an alias, he never figured out my identity and was a good listener. I should visit him.

Ajuka: he's also the red dragon emperor.

Azazel: this kid is something else. Hahaha.

Grayfia: wait....you made Issei drink with you? Since when?

Azazel was now scared, he and Issei have been drinking before he even turned 18.

Azazel: well I uh.... Shit.

Grayfia: Azazel......run.

Azazel: running.

He bolted and she was right behind him...... he's going to be in pain for a while.

( To Issei )

Issei and Kuroka were finally alone in their apartment after the others left. Both were tired so they went to the bed room.

Kuroka: looks like things are finally looking up.

Issei: yeah. I'm alive and you're a free devil now.

Kuroka: what do we do now?

Issei: I want to sleep. I'm sick of passing out from pain or near death experiences. Haha

Kuroka: I want the same for you and I've used up most of my magic and didn't get much sleep last night.

Issei: you used it to save my life 3 times now. Back when we first met, after the fight with Kokabiel and during the operation. What could I ever do to make it up to you?

Kuroka: ooohhhh I'll let you know.

Kuroka winks at Issei who returned a smirk. Issei sits on his bed side slowly and he lets out a small grunt.

Kuroka: what's wrong?

Issei: my back. It hurts. I feel pressure in 8 places.

Issei takes of his shirt and she feels 4 thick lumps and there was definitely some pressure built up.

Kuroka: what the hell are those?

Issei: do me a favour and cut the skin using your claws. There is something under my skin.

Kuroka: are you nuts?

Issei: yeah but please do it. The pain is increasing.

Kuroka: Al..alright. this will sting a little.

Kuroka takes out her cat claws and cuts all 8 lumps at once. What came out where 4 pairs of black fallen angel wings with red edges. Some of the feathers detached as soon as Issei spread his wings. The red scales of Issei's body had a black edge too.

Kuroka: WHAT THE HELL?!

Issei looked in the large mirror hanging on the wall.

Issei: WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?

Kuroka: that's my line bub.

Issei: I am so confused right now.

Ddraig: it seems that this is a side effect of the transplant. When Kuroka used sage magic, it merged the heart with your body and the different DNA combined. You Issei are the first fallen dragon. Hope you're not too disappointed.

Issei: honestly now that I think about it, I'm not. I never hated fallen angels, just Kokabiel and Raynare because of what they did.

Kuroka: yet her heart beats in your chest.

Issei: she destroyed mine like she ruined my life but now it's my heart. Each beat is a reminder that she's dead and I'm alive. My old self is dead and so is my old heart, I have a new one now and this one......beats only for you.

Kuroka: that's the most morbid yet romantic thing you've said. Thanks lover.

She kissed him.

Kuroka: you sure have a interesting outlook on life after all you went through.

Issei: yeah.. I guess I do.

Issei looks at his wings. Kuroka comes closer and is curious like the cat she is.

Kuroka: Issei do you mind if I touch them?

Issei: go ahead.

Kuroka runs her hand through Issei's plumage. The center was black as the darkest night from the center and slowly became blood red towards the edge. Issei twitched at Kuroka's touch as fallen angel wings were sensitive though Issei found out first hand. His face went red from the sensation and Kuroka took notice then smirked, she was so going to tease him about this.
Then Kuroka felt it, gentle warmth coming from his wings. She never felt something like this.

Kuroka: wow your wings are really soft and the warmth coming from it is one of a kind, I can't get enough of it. Issei I have a request.

Issei: hmm?

Kuroka: wrap me in your wings tonight please.

Issei: if it makes you happy then let's do it. Winter is coming.

Kuroka: YES.

Both go straight to bed and Issei wraps her in his new wings as she cuddled him. She was completely enveloped by the gentle warmth and fell right asleep.

Issei: sleep tight my little cat.