Chapter 4

Lloyd paced around his room, before hearing distant laughter. Opening the curtains, he peered through the window where Nya and Jay were heading back inside, chatting and laughing. His fists curled. Something wasn't right about Jay. Why was it that he showed up so suddenly? He wasn't jealous, but he didn't seem to believe his story either. However Nya did. He watched as they disappeared from view, meaning they were now inside.

Reaching for his phone, he stared at the blank screen for a second, before his gaze lifted at the sound of the door opening and closing.

"Hey, you not asleep yet?" Nya asked as she shut the door behind her. Lloyd laughed, "I've got time until the curfew, but even then, nobody sleeps, right? It's just..."

"To make sure nobody leaves." Nya finished his sentence, rummaging through her wardrobe, grabbing a set of pyjamas. She headed into the en suite, shutting the door behind her.

"So, how was your date with Jay?" He called out as the shower was turned on.

"It wasn't really a date, more like...just hanging out!" Nya responded over the roaring taps.

"In the woods at night? Sounds like a date! You know, from those weird books Skylor's into. The ones where they're forbidden lovers, and meet after dark in the forest?" He teased playfully.

"Jay and I just met this afternoon, nothing's going to happen straight away, let the guy settle in, he only just found out about his powers!"

Only just? Or is he an imposter? Lloyd would have to wait until tomorrow's classes to find out. Wait...tomorrow's one-on-one day. He wouldn't be able to. Fine, the day after, then.

Later, Nya came out, her hair damp. Rubbing moisturiser into her face, she grabbed her phone and leapt into her bed, scrolling through. Lloyd watched as she stared at her palm, typing something in as she did so.

"You writing down your fortune or something?"

"Huh? No, Jay gave me his number."

Reaching for the book on the floor beside his bed, Lloyd continued reading about the adventures of Sherlock and Watson.

"Students, this is your Principal speaking. The curfew is now set. Please remain in your dormitories until the next sunrise. Thank you."

"I'm gonna get an early sleep, night Lloyd."

"Sweet dreams, Midget."

As Nya pulled the covers over herself and slept, Lloyd couldn't help but think about the possible danger they could all be in.

❀❀❀

Breakfast had finished, and Jay was only just notified of his one-on-one session to introduce him to his powers, which would take place later that afternoon. Now he was rushing back from the library, only to bump into someone.

"Crap! Sorry, I gotta stop doing that!" He yelped, scrambling to pick up his books.

"That makes two of us."

"Seliel?"

"In the flesh." She grinned, "Hey." She looked around, before tilting her head, "How would you like to take a trip to a diner and have the best hot chocolate of your life?"

Not gonna lie, hot chocolate does sound good.

"Sure, why not?" Seliel beamed, "Grab your coat, I'll wait by the entrance." Jay rushed up to his dorm and grabbed the raincoat hanging on the door, pulling it on. Heading downstairs, he met up with Seliel and the two walked out.

"It's not far from here. Ronin and Dareth's Diner is sort of a two-in-one. Diner by day, bar by night!"

"Hey, it's the freaks!"

Seliel rolled her eyes, "Just ignore them. Keep walking. Don't do what the Smiths did."

"What did they do?"

"Well, Kai got into a brawl with them, and Nya- this happened at a later date- she may have shot one arrow too many at them."

"Oh gods."

"Anyways, here." She pushed open a door, entering a warmly lit diner. A man with gelled brown hair was wiping down a counter, and he beamed as he glanced up, "Seliel, pleasure to see you again. Who's this?"

"Jay's new. Master of Lightning." Jay opened his mouth to remind her that nobody was supposed to know but she simply said that Dareth and Ronin were two of the very few people who knew of their power.

Dareth took their orders, and they snagged a booth, "People know about elemental powers, they just don't know about our school. The Royal Family have been doing their best to eliminate anyone with powers." Seliel explained, "Back before we were born, people with powers were free, legal. Ever since the Jades became Royalty, they've made it a rule to hunt down every last one of us."

"But why? We're just as human as they are!"

"Because they're scared of us. They feel threatened by our power which, may I remind you, we didn't have a choice to be born with."

Jay looked confused, "I hope you don't mind me asking...but what's Phantom?"

She smiled, "Relative to the powers of Shadow and Smoke. I can disappear in a literal puff of smoke, and I can make other people and objects disappear too."

"Where?"

"To another location. My powers can be used to teleport anywhere. But I can banish objects- not people- to different realms. Nice, right?"

"Y-Yeah-" He was cut off by Dareth hovering beside them, wielding a tray with two mugs. "Here, kids, don't stay out too late."

"We got it, thanks!"

The hot chocolate was so good, topped with whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate drizzle. As they drank, Seliel spoke up, "Can't believe people think we look alike."

"I mean...I kinda see it..." Jay stuttered. Seliel dropped her spoon on the table, "Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, not the hair but...you know."

She sighed, "Maybe it's just coincidence. Last time I checked, my parents live in a junkyard." She sipped her drink and stared out the window, where a faint outline of the school could be seen.

❀❀❀

They'd finished their beverages and were now heading back, taking the route through the woods so they wouldn't bump into any bullies. Seliel stopped abruptly, "Hide. Now!"

They both hid behind a large tree, as several burly men bundled up marched by, "What's going on?" Jay asked.

"Hunters. Elemental masters normally hang around in the woods, it's a hotspot. They have these trackers. Elemental masters have a higher body heat compared to normal people. Kai has it bad, he's the Master of Fire."

Jay frowned. He and Nya didn't encounter any problems last night. Perhaps it was a specific part of the forest?

"Let's go." Seliel grabbed his arm and Jay suddenly felt his world shift. All he could see was smoke, and then the building of the school. Seliel let go and entered the building, and Jay glanced at the clock, where it read '12:54PM'. His one-on-one was at one thirty.

Jogging up the stairs, he passed Cole as he rushed into the dorms, shutting the door behind him. Pulling his coat off, he headed into the bathroom and stepped into the shower. Warm water trickled down his skin, and he took a shaky breath.

So, let's sum that up, he thought, I have elemental powers, and I'm currently wanted because of them. Great, just perfect.

❀❀❀

1:25PM. 

Jay headed down to the class wing, where all the different classrooms were. He stopped outside the one that said 'Sensei Garmadon' and took a seat.

The door suddenly opened and an elderly man peered out, "Ah, you must be Jay. I'm Sensei Garmadon. Come inside."