The Transfer Program

The next morning, I wake up all charged and happy. The only thing I can think of is Nathaniel's words "let's talk tomorrow" I feel so excited.

I take my bath whilst dancing to Shine A Light by Banners. I love that song. It's one of the special songs that get me tapping no matter what mood I'm in.

After combing my afro into a neat bun, not forgetting to add a base to the front. Long single braids on one side that cover at least one eye,  I get up and I'm set for school.

I smile at myself in the mirror. I have to admit that I am dressing for Nathaniel. Seems I care more about his views than Victor who doesn't even care about my feelings as a person.

I head downstairs humming. After getting my greetings from my brothers, horrid punches on the arm, I head to the dining.

I slap Bummi on her head, that's how I greet her, before sitting down for breakfast. My mother brings in our delicious breakfast. Her special pancakes and rich creamy Milo.

Of course, Austin and Simon are already on the ground to steal out of my and Bummi's food. Which they do. Brothers!

After morning devotion, I eagerly await my school bus. When it arrives, Faith and I chat to school and I inform her about my anticipated meeting with Nathan.

She warns me to fill her in on every little detail about the meeting and should not dare forget a single thing. I laugh at her and accept her warning.

My bus gets to school at the same time Victor does. The perpetual late comer bouncing his way into school. I have got to admit, I like the way he walks, and also his fashion sense. He is wearing one of those dope sweaters that are against the school rules. Mrs. Ana would freak when she sees it and would confiscate it.

We get to the assembly ground to meet the owner of the school addressing the whole school. We quickly join our class line and pay close attention. She tells us that the SHA needs money. So the transfer process would be sooner than we think. She informs us that the chosen students would be announced at the second assembly that would hold after school.

We don't usually have those but do when the owner of the school or the school has something important to pass to us. Whatever they do, I just hope they don't separate Nathaniel and me. After Faith leaving, Edna and Nathaniel would be my only support.

I also don't want them to take Victor. I need him to stay and realize how much of a mistake he is making treating me like this! However, I do hope that the pain in the assembly called Silvia leaves!

Throughout the whole assembly, I strongly feel Nathaniel's eyes on me. I don't look back at him but rather blush while looking in the opposite direction. Acting like I have no idea that his eyes are glued to me.
Wait! what if he stares long enough to notice a flaw in me?

I quickly turn to look at him as soon as this thought gets into my head. I do catch his gaze on me.  At first, he is smiling but then something in his smile changes.  Something else appears. Something like sadness  What's wrong?

While chatting with Faith and Edna outside on break time, we sight Faith's father walking towards the reception.  Faith herself doesn't know why her father is in school.

Her elder sister, Chioma runs up to him and after giving him a hug,  Edna, Faith, and I try to read their lips as they engage in a brief discussion.

They soon dismiss and he makes his way into the reception. As Chioma makes to walk past us, Faith calls her and asks what their father is doing in school. She then informs us that he came to get their transfer letter. 

  The closest flight ticket they could get is one for tomorrow and their dad got it!  He wants to leave his motherland so badly!  

Does that mean Faith is leaving tomorrow?

"That guy can't just stand me happy! " Faith thinks out loud.  'Guy' is what she calls her dad. Initially, it used to be funny to me and would make me laugh, but not this time.

"That means you're leaving tomorrow?" Edana asks in disbelief.

"It appears so."Faith replies.

I stand there practically paralyzed. I watch Faith as tears begin to well up in my eyes. How am I going to face Senior School without the one girl who was able to straighten and coach me? More like my fairy godmother.

"Oh no babe, don't do this now. Please don't cry. " Faith begs as she moves over to embrace me.  Faith doesn't cry. Even my best friend can count how many times I have seen her cry, but this time, she cries. She is hugging me so tightly I can hardly breathe.

I watch Edna build up a strong emotional wall. She can hold all but one stray tear.

After spending the rest of the break sulking and sobbing, we go back to class, and soon enough,  it is time to go home.

The second assembly is being held. Well, life did show me the worst that could happen.

" Dear SHA students, the following have been selected to start up the new SHA in town.

Halima Mohammed
Laina Jackson
Luca Jackson
Derrick Adebayo
Mohammed Ibrahim
...... "

I lose interest in the names till I hear one name. Hearing this name brings a smile to my, Faith's and Ednas Face.

"Silvia Ajayi! " I can say I am beyond happy. Finally, that thorn bush would be out of my life! I am still smiling triumphantly when the next name is called. It had the total opposite effect on us from the last name.

"Edna Davidson" Edna was chosen!
Edna squeezes my shoulder. An act to comfort me, as she makes her way to the podium. Miss. Ana keeps reading the list till it's done.

I just lost two best friends!  The pain I feel is horrible. More than half my class was picked but Victor, Nathaniel, Dina,  I, and a few others were left.

I... I need my bathroom. I need to cry. They ring the bell to go home and I don't even wait for Nathaniels meeting. I am feeling the total opposite of what I felt this morning.

Why on earth does life Hate Me??