Chapter 49 - Distractions

My brother's distraction techniques have seen better days.

"Sean?" I inquire slowly.

Ever since Will left so abruptly, Sean has been trying to get my mind off the topic of our parents. Unsuccessfully so, as it turns out. I have thought long and hard about whether to vocalize what has been on my mind or not. But I simply cannot let it go, so I decide to risk it and inquire further.

It sure doesn't help that he doesn't have a TV. Otherwise I suspect he could have at least distracted me for the length of a movie or something. When I questioned him about his lack of a TV, he just laughed and told me that he doesn't need one. He has a smartphone and a computer and if he really wants to watch something, he can do it on there.

I reckon it is good that he is not a sports fanatic. If he were anything like the rest of my brothers, he would need a TV only to keep boring football, basketball, baseball or even ice hockey games on. That is what usually plays on our TV, unless the twins plug in the old gaming console, or we have a movie night.

Jack and Will have their own TV in their bedroom – Will made some kind of shady deal a few years back, if I remember correctly – but other than that, there is only the one in the living room. Our "family TV", as Alex calls it. Meant to be shared, and all. Only I think my brothers didn't get that memo. I cannot remember when it was last shared with me and I was allowed to decide what was put on. So the only time I can enjoy using the TV is when it is my turn to pick a movie – or on the rare occasions when the boys choose something I am actually interested in, too.

Anyway, my point is that Sean's attempts at distracting me would have worked if he had a TV. I am certain that I could have made him watch something that I wanted to watch.

"What?" he asks, sounding kind of defeated.

I think I am starting to get on his nerves but I can't let it go just yet. I tell myself that it is a little sibling's prerogative to be a bit annoying.

After trying and failing to entertain me, he announced that he had to grade some papers by tomorrow. He gave me a few random comic books and a couple of "age-appropriate" actual books that he had lying around and told me to read for a while. I asked for his phone instead, thinking that maybe I could watch some Netflix on it or – if he doesn't have an account – to at least waste a bit of time on YouTube.

He refused to let me have his phone though. I strongly suspect is it because he fears that I would have had a look at the WhatsApp conversations on that elusive big brother chat. I normally respect people's privacy and try not to snoop, but I think I might have done it tonight. I  could not have kept my thumb from clicking on the green icon. So Sean's suspicion might be justified.

"Why would you say that Dad and Alex were enemies?" I want to know.

"Lily," Sean groans. "I thought I made it quite clear that we are not going to talk about this anymore?"

"You said you're not gonna tell me more about Dad. But you already mentioned that him and Alex were enemies, earlier, so that is nothing new," I argue. "I just want to understand better..."

My brother sighs.

"Alright. But after this, the topic is closed until further notice. Understood?"

I nod eagerly and shift to the edge of the sofa in anticipation. Sean pushes his laptop aside and turns his body towards me, fixing me with a serious look.

"Maybe calling them enemies was the wrong term, at least from Alex' point of view," he begins. "He never considered him an enemy, per se. Just someone who was doing more harm than good to the family, so he had to go. And with Alex pushing Dad out of our family and basically making it so that he had no way or right to return, our father declared war on him, for lack of a better term. To him, Alex was the bad guy and therefore the enemy. He fought him tooth and nails, but he knew he was fighting a losing battle, due to the circumstances."