Chapter 53

I didn't have the heart to tell Spencer his head was too small. That cap looks like a pitched tent on it. But he wouldn't care if I told him it looked like a clown hat. And quite honestly, it could be that Hornet hovering in the middle of the panel glaring back at me influencing my cynical opinion.  I don't follow basketball, but I have an inexplicable disdain for the insect. Actually, bugs in general with risk factors of inflicting pain upon contact give me the creeps. He hasn't taken the thing off since Billy and Sean brought him home the other night. In fact, I think he even sleeps in it.

"Did you bring your toothbrush?" I ask him.

"Yep," he says, tossing his backpack over his shoulder. After the Landry High School Basketball team showed up in his classroom and escorted him out on their shoulders, his friend group multiplied overnight. Invitations for sleepovers poured in. Even his old pals, Justin and Mikey wanted in on the action. Needless to say, they didn't make the cut.

"Spencinator! You're lookin' ready to tackle the world," Mrs. Sheffield says. "Now I want to hear all about your trip to Charlotte when we get in the car. And don't skimp on the details."

Aunt Amy bends down slightly and hands him a bag full of baked goods. "If you need anything, call me right away." She was visibly upset when I told her about living in Loserville and the milk incident. I learned scrubbing the metal off of pans and baking at record speeds were her coping skills.

Spencer hugs Aunt Amy and me and we both watch him set out with Mrs. Sheffield as if he were being sent off to war.

"And did I hear right? They took you in the locker room with all those smelly players?" she asks.

"Yeah, and they gave me this hat. See?" He tilts his head to show her the bill covered in autographs, then jumps in the car. I'm not sure how I could ever repay Christina and Billy for making that happen for him. For us.

Aunt Amy shakes her head. "What a pair." She hasn't been avoiding me. She always looks me straight in the eye. She doesn't shy away from conversations. But she's acting different. And I don't think I'm being paranoid. The list of reasons to justify her suspicions is extensive. She never did talk about that ride home with Tag. And she was gone a long time. She never mentioned the comment Abigail wrote about me smelling like smoke. But tonight, everything will change. I'm cautiously optimistic we might be able to get back on track. Surprisingly, Lindsey already started the morning out with an early, well, early for her anyway, rah-rah text.

Today 2h ago

Linds: GM! 2day is it!

Today 2h ago

Abs: Xcited 4 u!

Today 1h ago

Lindsey: ur Amzg! TY c u just b4 3

Today 1h ago

Abs: k. dad pick u up.

Today 30m ago

Linds: Did u get it?

Today 30m ago

Abs: u no it!

Today 30m ago

Linds: Awsm!

Today 30m ago

Linds: ur da best!

Today 30m ago

Abs: I no- ull ow me-LOL

"Excuse me, miss, but can I get another cup of coffee?" says one of the patrons.

"Coming right up, sir." I reply, tossing my phone in the drawer of the condiment cabinet. Lindsey and Abigail will have to wait. While Aunt Amy never expects me to help in the dining room, she's crystal clear about her feelings on cell phones if I do. And now more than ever, she needs to believe I'm pulling my weight.