Chapter 55

As if being played a fool by my best friends wasn't bad enough, learning Vincent's father is the Neanderthal's Uncle felt like getting kicked in the head after a punch to the gut. All this time, Vince never once mentioned Chuck Conner was his cousin. I finish stacking the plates in the dishwasher and catch Mr. Conner order his wife and boys to the car. At least the immediate source of agony is finally gone and I can breathe normally.

Moments later, Mrs. Sheffield walks Mr. Saunders to the hallway bathroom and tells him about the dripping problem. With the Café winding down, I tell her I'll be on the front porch studying. Heading upstairs to grab my things, I know I can't bear facing Aunt Amy. Not yet anyway. Not until I can wrap my head around these new revelations and prepare to act as if my life is perfect. She can't suspect a thing. As much as this betrayal hurts, I have to get through it. Spencer needs me. And Spencer needs her.

At the base of the stairwell, I overhear Mrs. Sheffield say, "It's been a while since you've seen him, huh?"

"Oh, fifteen years or so, I reckon," Mr. Saunders replies. "Just before mom passed."

She sighs. "I didn't even recognize him. And he surely didn't recognize me."

"Yeah, well, not everyone still talks to their first grade teacher." Mr. Saunders says. Then he grumbles, "Doesn't seem he's changed one bit. Still as miserable as ever."

"You know I loved your mama, but I sure am glad she's not here to see what came of him. And I have no idea how Lillian managed for so long. She had the patience of Job, that stepmother of his."

"Mrs. Conner was a saint. I guess teachers have a tendency to hold out hope for us lost causes." Mr. Saunders says.

"Lost cause? You were no such thing. Just a little hard headed is all. You are a good man, Vincent Steven Saunders. You mom's pride and joy. That Butch Conner was too coldhearted to know what was good for him."

Clanking noises echo in the hallway. "He came by it honestly. His father wasn't exactly the model of piety."

"You're right about that. Closest thing to evil next to the devil himself, that man. The day your mama left him was the hardest day of her life, but she never s'pected it was gonna cost her a son. She never forgave herself for that."

"Guess that about does it."

The sound of water running sends me scurrying. I've done more than my fair share of eavesdropping these last few days, but this enlightenment is entirely overwhelming. Other than the shock value of knowing Vincent is the cousin of the biggest jerk in all of Landry, why am I so bothered by the drama between his dad and Mr. Conner? So they're estranged half-brothers? Who cares?

Hiding in my geometry book away from Aunt Amy and Mrs. Sheffield on the front porch, I tune in to the Jack Johnson station on my phone and swipe away all the texts popped up on my screen. I can't handle whatever pile of lies Lindsey and Abigail are sending me in order to keep my mouth shut.

"Mackenzie, Mrs. Sheffield and I are going to take a ride over to the Hail Farm and see about some strawberries. Then I'll swing by to pick up your brother."

"Oh yeah. Sounds great," I say, eyes glued to my textbook.

"Are you sure you're okay, sweetheart?"

I just want so much for them to leave, certain the human sifter could penetrate through the flimsy fake smile. "Yep. Just geometry. Ugh. Such a downer, you know?"

"Geometry. Well, that sounds rightly frightful," Mrs. Sheffield says. "But like I told my kids, don't put off the difficult things if you want to live in comfort. Keep on doing the tough stuff, love. It'll be worth it in the end."