(8) wild

Sam arrived back home late that night

Sam arrived back home late that night. They had chased Paul to the Canadian border before deciding to call it a night. Both himself and Jared had tried talking to Paul through the link in their minds, but he shut them out and refused to listen, running on instinct and rage alone.

They were beat, having ran several hundred miles round trip. Jared's parents were home now, so he gave Sam a two finger salute before heading toward the garage to get a few hours rest before they tried again tomorrow. Sam nodded in return and headed inside, wrinkling his nose at the smell of still drying paint.

He toed off his shoes and crept slowly up the stairs, not wanting to wake his sleeping best friend. Sam slowly opened Allison's bedroom door, and frowned as he saw her bedroom empty, her bed made and not slept in.

He cocked his head, listening to the sounds throughout the house, from the subtle creak of the foundation as the house slightly swayed in the wind, to the leaky faucet dripping slowly in the basement. He heard Jared in the garage shuffling around, getting ready for bed, and finally, down the hall, he heard light snores coming from his own bedroom.

It wasn't loud and grating, like his fathers snores. It was quiet and soothing. A slow rhythm of one deep asleep.

He walked quietly to his bedroom, and palm flat against the wood, slowly pushed the bedroom door open. He was greeted by his best friend curled up around one of his pillows, nose buried in the pillow case as she slept soundly, wearing once again, one of his shirts.

He chuckled softly at the sight, and turned around, heading to the bathroom to shower while he let her sleep. Stepping in, he was bombarded by memories of the first time he stayed the night, the first time they shared a bed, and the first time he was in this very bathroom, so many years ago.

"Sam Uley? Is that you? What are you doing here?" Allison called out, pulling her sweater closer around herself as she peered out into the rain. Sam was sat on the steps of her parents house, the hood of his jacket pulled over his head, obscuring his face.

"Hey... are you okay?" Allison asked softly, as she sat down next to him, not caring in the slightest that she was getting soaked in the rain.

Sam sat there silently, looking at his hands, refusing to speak. Allison took one of his hands in both of her own, and started rubbing it softly, trying to get some warmth back in it.

Sighing, Sam tilted his head to look at her, grimacing as he heard her gasp. He flinched as he saw her raised hand, and then shut his eyes, not wanting to see the pity in hers. They didn't stay closed for long, however. He opened them again as he felt her smaller hand reach out and brush underneath one of his eyes gently.

He was surprised at the emotions in her eyes. It wasn't pity. No, it was anger. And he knew immediately that that anger wasn't aimed at him, but whoever did this to him. It made him feel safe, in a way he hadn't felt in such a long time. It showed she cared, in a way no one in his life ever really had before. He took a long, shuddering breath as he slowly leaned into her hand cradling his face, and she smiled sadly.