3. Unexpected Good Day

The call rang. Still ringing. It wasn't until I almost wanted to hang up that my superior finally picked up the call.

"Good morning, Mrs Svenson," I greeted.

"Roman, good morning," Mrs Svenson greeted back.

"I-I'm sorry to call you this early in the morning. I need to tell you that I cannot go to work today," I said.

"Oh," she replied. "We heard what happened."

Small neighbourhood. Wow.

"Yeah," was all that came out of my mouth.

"Well, Roman, it's really nice to have you in this daycare for the last five years," Mrs Svenson said.

My heart sank. My inner organs turned.

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"We already received some phone calls from parents. They're worried about their children's safety with you around," Mrs Svenson answered.

My heart didn't just sink down. It hit the ground and shattered.

"I'm so sorry, Roman. It really breaks my heart to see you go," Mrs Svenson added her voice cracked. "It wasn't a unanimous call. Some of us still want you here."

"I understand," I said, wanting to say more, but, a lump blocked my throat from saying anything else.

"We'll still pay your wage for this month," Mrs Svenson replied.

"Thank you," I said. "Thank you so much. I'm so sorry."

"I'm so sorry," Mrs Svenson repeated.

Once we hung up, I lied back down on my bed, facing the ceiling, fidgeting on my necklace, not fixing the shifting of my glasses.

Great. Awesome. Cool.

We would not be alright.

Damn.

How should I tell Brooklyn?

About half an hour later, I brought myself out of my room and to the kitchen. Brooklyn had been eating breakfast and having a call at the same time, probably contacting Landon's family member. Or being contacted by.

I served myself some breakfast before I joined her by the table. When Brooklyn hung up, she turned to me.

"Your package arrived," Brooklyn said. "The blanket, I think."

I hummed in acknowledgement.

Ever since that event in the nursing home, I got myself kind of taken aback to my childhood. I always wanted a manta ray blanket, real size up to five meters. So, I waited a couple of weeks and saw if I still wanted the blanket. So bad that I bought it.

Now, seeing what just happened, I might not be able to afford a decent gift for a rich elementary school girl, I should just change the status of my blanket as a gift. I wouldn't need it anyway because I would have to work.

"I'll have to go to the supermarket later. We're almost out of diapers," Brooklyn said. "Can you babysit the girls for a couple hours?"

"I have all day," I nodded. "Or I can be the one going out instead of you."

"You call in sick?" Brooklyn asked, ignoring my offer.

"I was, then, I got fired," I shrugged.

Brooklyn sighed.

"Not surprised," Brooklyn said apologetically. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said. "I'll get a new job, eventually."