20. Good Timing

Everyone felt better in the span of a few months and everything went normal again. Even my brother in law had been released since he had been found not guilty. And I moved in with Dick ever since.

All normal. Well, except that Rachel finally could ride a bicycle. She liked to spend more of her time by the manor and rode her bike every time she had a spare time.

As for now, one summer day, we had another beach trip. This time, it was just Dick, Rachel, Jason, Damian, and I. Also Roach the dog and Titus.

Rachel and I had been spending at least the last half an hour by the damp sand, drawing all the sea creatures she had in mind. After that, we watched the wave erased our drawing.

When the sun started going down, Rachel and I had already put our beach skirts and shirts on. We laid out a thin blanket and sat down, waiting for the sus to set while the boys... were being boys, still running around in their beach shorts.

Dick joined us a little while after I started playing with Rachel's hair. I ended up braiding Rachel's hair while Dick braided mine.

"Mommy," Rachel called out.

"Yes, honey?" I replied.

"Dad," Rachel called again.

"I'm listening, darling," Dick promised.

"Um... when are you gonna get married?" Rachel asked.

Thank God Dick happened to be braiding my hair behind me that he couldn't see my face.

"Oh, uh...," Dick chuckled, "That's a surprise."

"What about when are you gonna get engaged?" Rachel asked again.

"That's even a bigger surprise," Dick promised.

There would be no denial that I had butterflies in my stomach as if I was a teenager.

A few days later when I drove me to my work place before he drove to his, we talked about this accurance. We just thought it was funny that Rachel seemed to care about us as much as we cared about us. Though, it was really awkward.

Dick couldn't stop half chuckling half giggling, as what I concluded lately as what he did if he was nervous. I myself couldn't look at him without blushing.

"Well, uh... he he," I mumbled as Dick stopped the car in front of the nursing home. "See you later, Richie. Have a nice day."

"You, too, love," Dick said before we leaned in for a kiss.

I got out of the car and waited until Dick left. Instead, Dick rolled down the windshield that's closest to me.

"But, you'll marry me, though, right?" Dick asked.

I froze, leaving my jaw hanging, intending to answer at first. Dick himself lift up a finger to his lips.

"Don't answer it yet. Wait until this afternoon, okay?" Dick continued.

I scoffed half a grin awkwardly, "Okay."

With that, Dick sped off.

My day didn't go well. I kept getting flustered. I miscalled a few names and the seniors weren't really happy about it. I almost served the wrong food to the seniors with allergy.

I kept wondering if that was just a goofy question or if Dick was serious. I really couldn't tell. A part of me wanted to keep it casual and not exaggerate things in case Dick only asked a goofy question. Only... what if he was serious? Man's a goofy man, he took serious things in a goofy way.

Came lunch break, my mind was still full of things. Well, a thing. I didn't even realized I was eating soup with a fork until I got tired of my food not getting finished.