Secret Code

Enter Player Name: Noah

I smiled at the sight before me.

The previously bare office was now filled with four lively employees. Each of them had cluttered the tops of their desks with papers, sketches, and much more. Well, at least Jake's and Maria were. Nick, on the other hand, had kept his desk extremely organized. The contrast always drew my attention to them. Rather, it reminded me of a different time. A time where Riley would occupy the 4th desk. Her's was always an unpredictable one. One day there would be a mess. The next, you couldn't find a pen out of place.

The whiteboards that had been bare now had scribbles and diagrams decorating its every corner. Yet, despite all the writing on them, I would stare at a small drawing at its corner left every time I would walk in. Riley had left her mark everywhere.

Currently, everyone was huddled around the TV screen at the far left of the office. Each of us took turns playing through the demo, noting any unfinished business. The room was full of laughter and excitement. Yet. I felt like something was missing.

"Congratulations, son, you did it," my mother said from next to me. She held a wine glass in celebration.

I bumped my beer against her glass. "Thanks, mom. I couldn't have done this without your investment, though."

"Still, be proud of what you accomplished. I must admit I would have advised against accepting inexperienced people, but they proved me wrong."

"I was just following someone's advice," I said. It had been 3 months since I saw Riley. But not one day went by that I did not think about her.

"You still miss her?" My mother asked.

"Everyday."

My mother patted my back in an attempt to console me.

"I am sure if you two love each other, you will find a way to work it out," my mother said.

"You didn't see how hurt she was..."

"Hey, boss! We are about to get to the ending. Would you like to do the honors?" Jake asked.

"I would love to," I said, taking a seat at the center of the couch. Taking the remote from Maria's hand, I began fighting the final boss.

After a tense thirty minutes, the monster finally fell. It disappeared in a puff of smoke. Just as the credits began to roll, we all cheered —congratulating and hugging each other. I have never felt as proud as when I saw my name and company logo flash up on the screen.

When Riley's name appeared, I knew what was missing at this event. It was her, she had done so much. It felt wrong to celebrate without her.

The game didn't fade to black, instead, a question popped up? It read:

Are you, Noah?

Yes No

"What is this, guys?" I asked, looking to my team for answers. They looked just as lost as I was.

"No idea, Riley was writing the code for the end scene. Maybe she knows?" My head developer responded scanning his notes.

Curiosity overcame me at his words.

Yes No

The screen faded to black for a second. I leaned forward as if maybe there was something I was missing when suddenly words flashed across the screen.

I love you - Riley

My heart felt into my stomach and flew right back out into my throat

My heart felt into my stomach and flew right back out into my throat. I was speechless. Riley had not worked on this code for 3 months. That means.

"I guess Riley left a hidden message for you, boss," Jake joked, causing the team to laugh. They had come to like her a lot when we were working together. When she suddenly stopped coming, there were full of questions. Eventually, perhaps because of the look on my face, they stopped.

I was still fixated on the words on the screen. Fuck, Riley.

I told myself she didn't love me in hopes that it would give me the strength to stay away from her. But now, I wanted to run to her. To grab her in my arms and demand she tells me those words I have wanted to hear for so long.

I tried to avoid it for the last three months, but hope made its way into my heart. I had to try.

I got up and grabbed my jacket.

"I hope you are right, mom."