CHAPTER 30

"I got Nobody!" Polyphemus gloated.

They crept to the cave entrance and saw the Cyclops, grinning wickedly, holding up empty air. The monster shook his fist, and a baseball cap fluttered to the ground. There was Annabeth, hanging upside down by her legs.

"Hah!" The Cyclops said. "Nasty indivisible girl! Already got feisty one for wife. Means you gotta be roasted with mango chutney!"

Annabeth struggled, but she looked dazed. She had a nasty cut on her forehead. Her eyes were glassy.

"I'll rush him," Percy whispered to Clarisse. "Our ship is around the back of the island. You and Grover—"

"No way," they said at the same time. Clarisse had armed herself with a highly collectible rams-horn spear from the Cyclops's cave. Grover had found a sheep's thigh bone, which he didn't look too happy about, but he was gripping it like a club, ready to attack.

"We'll take him together," Clarisse growled.

"Yeah," Grover said. Then he blinked, like he could t believe he'd just agreed with Clarisse about something.

"All right," Isa said. "Attack plan Macedonia. Percy you're with me."

They nodded. They'd all taken the same training course at Camp Half-Blood. They knew what Isa was talking about. Grover and Clarisse would sneak around either side and attack the Cyclops from the flanks while Percy and Isa held his attention in the front. Probably what that meant was that they'd all die instead of just her, but Isa was grateful for the help.

Isa hefted her sword and shouted, "Hey, Ugly!"

Percy uncapped Riptide and shouted, "Over here!"

The giant whirled towards them. "Other ones? Who are you?"

"Put down my friend, I'm the one who insulted you," Percy said.

"You Are Nobody?"

"That's right, you smelly bucket of nose drool!" Isa taunted. It didn't sound quite as good as Annabeth's insults, but it was all she could think of. She usually has good insults though. "He's Nobody, and he's proud of it! Now, put her down and get over here. We want to stab your eye out again."

"RAAAR!" He Bellowed.

The good news: he dropped Annabeth. The bad news: he dropped her head onto the rocks, where she lay motionless as a rag doll.

The other bad news: Polyphemus barrelled towards the siblings, five hundred smelly kilograms of Cyclops that they would have to fight with very small swords.

"For Pan!" Grover rushed in from the right. He threw his sheep bone, which bounced harmlessly off the monster's forehead. Clarisse ran in from the left and set her spear against the ground in time for the Cyclops to step on it. He emailed in pain, and Clarisse dived out of the way to avoid getting trample. But the Cyclops just plucked out the shaft like a large splinter and kept advancing on them.

Percy moved with Riptide and Isa moved with Waves.

The monster made a grab for Isa. She rolled aside and stabbed him in the thigh.

Isa didn't really know what to expect when she stabbed him. She didn't really expect him to die just then. The monster was much too big and powerful.

"Get Annabeth!" Isa yelled at Grover.

He rushed over, grabbed her invisibility cap, and picked her up while Clarisse, Isa and Percy tried to keep Polyphemus distracted.

Isa had to admit, Clarisse was brave. She charged the Cyclops again and again. He pounded the ground, stomped at her, grabbed at her, but she was too quick. And as soon as she made an attack, Percy and Isa followed up by stabbing the monster in the toe or the ankle or the hand.