Chapter Eight:

Tate's POV

I tried to play it off as though whatever choice she made I would be fine with either. If she became a wolf the mate bond would fully sink in. There would be no denying what we meant to one another. Was she even ready for that? The idea of having a mate before seemed so much simpler. As a newer alpha it had been all about the pack. I had hardly thought about what it would mean when I met my mate. I assumed that when it hadn't been someone in my pack that I would have more time. But now my every thought every action revolved around Hadley. Her safety. I had nearly lost my mind today at the thought of her being taken or harmed. It would only get worse when she activated the curse.

Could she tell that I was a complete mess? My wolf instincts were heightened by every inch of her. I had tried to calm my wolf down by holding her close and breathing her in. But that had only made me want her even more. It had been a welcomed distraction, tearing those rouges apart.

Hadley had gone and taken a shower after being covered in pine sap. I had immediately found Devin nearly losing my head for her leaving Hadley alone. If she didn't already know she was my mate she probably had her suspicions now. Just great just what I need. I had gone for a run trying to clear my head and calm my wolf. He was still amped up. Ready to kill and defend our mate. I made it to a small clearing that overlooked the lake. I stood on the snow covered shore that overlooked the ice.

"I thought I would find you out here, you left quite the mess of those two rouges," West said, coming up and standing next to me.

I growled at him in annoyance.

"How did they get past the pack warriors on patrol?" I asked.

"We had lessened the numbers to help bring in the Fenris Moon Pack members. They either got extremely lucky in their timing or,"

"Or they are working with the Fenris Moon Pack and Alpha Nolan," I said cutting him off.

"I wouldn't put it past Nolan to work with rogues but what does he want out of this?" West went on.

"I don't know but I'm going to find out. Alpha Darren from Blood Bane Pack called the other day. He wants a meeting with me. He'd be a good ally to have if we need him against Nolan," I thought out the options in my head. It wouldn't be the best time to leave especially with the multiple attacks. Plus the thought of leaving Hadley especially if she went through with the shift was nearly impossible.

"Hadley wants to activate the shift," I told West. His eyes got big and he looked surprised.

"Huh. I mean I figured she would want to do it eventually. But I didn't think it would be so soon. She's only been here for 3 days,"

"She doesn't want to be defenseless if we get attacked again," I said.

"Damn. She'll be a good luna. But if she shifts and the bond sinks in there's no way you'll be able to leave. I also would not recommend taking her to Blood Bane with you," West said.

"Going to Blood Bane is what is best for the pack," I decided. "As much as I want to be here, the pack is too important. We worked too hard to let everyone down. Not after what happened before,"

"I'll stay and watch over Hadley and the pack. We can wait till you get back to have Hadley activitate the shift," West said.

I hated the idea of leaving my mate alone with another male. Especially West. He always had a way with the other pack females, charming them into submission. He hadn't decided to wait for his mate. But he was my beta and my best friend. I needed to trust him.

"I'll be gone two weeks maximum," I said.

"When are you going to go?"

"Tonight." I want this over with. "Have Devin talk with Hadley about the shift and waiting,". I said.

"You don't want to do it yourself?" West asked.

"If I talk to her, the shift will be done in ten minutes from now and there's no chance in hell I will leave. So yes I'm sure" I said laughing it off running a hand through my hair.

Hadley's POV

I finished scrubbing myself raw trying to get all of the sap off of my skin and hair. My mind had wandered in the shower. Thinking about Tate. How it felt so good to be held by him. To have his touch on me. I felt like a horrible person. I had just met the guy and I could not get him out of my head. My ex boyfriend was just killed by rogues. It was selfish and cruel. I still could not accept the feeling of losing Cam. I pushed it so far down. I could live in denial. In denial there were small moments of bliss.

I turned my head at the knock of the door. A small part of me was disappointed when a blonde female head poked through and not the Wavy brown hair of Tate.

"Hey, it's me.... Hadley I am so sorry I left you in the woods," she said her eyes not meeting mine. "I don't know what I was thinking. I just... I wanted to help the pack and fight but you were my responsibility I should have kept guard on you or fuck put you somewhere better before I just left,"

"I understand. That's why I have to shift. I need to be able to protect myself. You shouldn't have to watch over me. Not when you're needed elsewhere," I said.

"About that. Tate sent me to talk to you about the shift,"

"I'm not changing my mind so if he has an issue with it he should have said that before," I snapped. "Sorry. It's just been a long day and I am so sick of feeling useless," I said.

"Trust me I feel you on that," she said sitting down on the corner of my bed. Tapping the spot next to her.

"There's just a few things you should prepare yourself for before you activate the shift. Things that will help you. The shift, especially the first one is not easy. We're all fine with you activating the shift, just you need to be ready. Tate just wants you to wait till he gets back," she went on.

"Tate's leaving?" I asked.

"He has to visit the Blood Bane Pack in the north whose alpha requested Tate come up for a visit. If it wasn't important he wouldn't go. Tate has hardly left in his time as alpha," She said.

"Oh I see," I said thinking everything over.

"So with that being said... Tate wants you to wait till he gets back to help you out. In the meantime I'll get you all ready for the shift and pack life," She said with a mischievous little smile on her face.