SNL

November 10th, 2019

It's been just over two weeks since Harry and I last spoke. I left for New York a few days after our fight and we haven't spoken face to face since. Every part of me wants to call him and tell him how I've missed him so much. He's my best friend. He's family. He's the love of my life. But I know it's best to keep my distance right now. Sometimes he sends me photos of the studio or tells me he's looking to the stars and I send him photos of the set or the food I'm eating. But he never responds until there's some photo with a hidden message he wants me to decipher, rarely we talk through text messages with actual words. A few days ago, he sent me a photo of a set of string lights hanging from his outside area, I'm not sure what it meant when he sent me a photo of the lights he put up, but I'm sure it was something special. In response, I sent him a picture of a pair of goldfish dangling earrings my character Emelià wears in a scene to let him know, I'm still his fish.

Last night he sent me a photo that was without a doubt a cryptic message: a singular fine line drawn on a piece of paper. 

I haven't had the time to get myself a steady home just yet because of how busy I've been. I've been in New York for press these last few weeks as well as going over scripts and having interviews for my new Netflix movie, 'One of Us is Lying' which is a film adaption of the book with the same title by Karen M. McManus. I started and finished the book in two days. I play Bronwyn, the intelligent, keep-to-herself kinda girl. My phone vibrates and Harry has sent me a photo of the Saturday Night Live building from down below. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be for a couple studios. I send back a picture of my pearl ring.

I put the phone down on the bench and pickup my script and take it to the couch where I sit and annotate. I can't help but wonder how many other people who have come and gone through this very hotel room have been on this couch.

******

November 16th, 2019

"Are you watching it!?" Gemma squeals at me through FaceTime, her face lighting up my screen.

"I just got back to the hotel from set, traffic was a nightmare! I'm literally running to the living room!" I say as I unlock the hotel door and go into the living room, dropping my bags on the floor as the door behind me closes.

"I'm so nervous!" I hear Anne say through the phone.

"I just turned it on, hang on I'll just transfer your call to my laptop!" I say as I open my MacBook and put Gemma and Anne onto the laptop screen.

"I am so excited, this is insane!" I say as I sit, flicking through the channels to find it.

"He was on SNL with the band, but this is something else, holy shit." Gemma says as she bites down on her nails.

"Gemma, don't swear!" Anne says as she playfully hits her arm.

"Sorry, I forgot I'm twenty-seven." She says sarcastically and Anne rolls her eyes at her. I find the channel and make it just in time as the SNL jazz music begins to play while Harry makes his way down the stairs doing a slight dance in a white blazer, yellow pants and a blue undershirt. My heart does backflips.

Anne and Gemma squeal and begin to move around their living room in Holmes Chapel. Harry stands in the middle of the stage with his arms behind his back, a cross-necklace dangling from his neck.

"Thank you! Thank you so much! It is so great to be here hosting Saturday Night Live for the first time." He says and the sound of his voice makes my throat dry and the urgency to see him grows with every second. Maybe I couldn't do this after all. The crowd erupts into cheers of admiration as he begins his monologue which gains lots of laughs and it makes me smile.