Chapter1: Short cut

Andy is a young hopeful journalist that been culture shock by how the real world works.
Unlike his time as a student, the real world will crushed you if you hesitates.
His moral and his views changes as he starts working.
Everything seems so unreal and his head is floating.
He never thought that a day will come that he will have to be forced to make an interesting story rather than an actual fact.
He wanted to escape the loop and be different. He aspire to be one.
That is why despite others telling him he still pursue this path and now....

Andy takes a deep sigh.
He check his wrist watch and stare at it for a second before he finally focus to tell the time.

Eleven pm.
He wants to go back to sleep.
He take his coat and went to his car.
He's been sighing alot lately.
His boss and collegues told him that he will get used to it soon.
It's not even been a year. He knows he will get used to it....but the problem is he doesn't want to.
He wants to be...like the other journalist who stands where they believe.

'You need a backer to do that.' Is what plainly told by his Senior in the company.
'They don't tell no lies because they are strong or brave. It's cause they can. And they are allowed to do that.'

He said.
He made a circle with his thumb and index finger with his three fingers lifted in the air.
'This is what you need.'

He pulled the car door a bit stronger because the car door are jamming so it need a little more pull.
He went to start the car and drive home slowly.
He wanted to go faster but he decided to follow the rules.

As a student, he has full of pride. He win lots of writing competition and always told his teacher to stay in what he believes no matter what.
But that will not fill someone's belly.
His achievement will not make his superior stop telling him to make his story more what his words --colorful.

This is a bit ego shattering.
But his exact words are  'people don't want news. They want entertainment. So we give them news and entertainment.'

He parked outside his apartment and slowly walks in the metal stairs. His every steps are heavy and it makes a crealing sound.

He wanted a break.
But he is just new.
He can't just say he wants a break. What if they fire him?
Sadly, there are so many vacant job nowadays.
People in the television keep saying if you are not happy in your work, you have to leave.
He keeps turning off the television.

They are right.
He is not contesting that.
But they are also wrong.
You need to work.
You need to eat.
You need money to buy things you need.
It is painful to hear them calling him a work slave.
It's true but what about it?
In this world, you don't choose your job the job will choose you.
So many people are vying for job opportunity. If you listen to the television host in a spur of a moment you will find yourself at a side of the road looking at the working people while you are trying to apply for any position available just to get a job.

He sighs.

Of course everyone wants a job you will always be happy with.
Of course you want to be in that situation.

Beep.
Beep.

Andy sits on his simple couch and check his cellphone.

His professor on his University is inviting him to an event featuring an ethnic group of people.
They need someone to write this news to share to the world.
And his professor thinks of him.

A smile spread his lips.

"Professor, did I betray your trust?"
He grabs his head with his two hands and take a deep breath.

"I will go."

---

Andy looks at the bus driver and the conductor.

"Is this my stop?"

"You go straight there and you will see a sign leading you to the tribe."

"Thanks." Andy smiles.

He can tell that lots of them are looking at him.
He is taller than average Filipino by 6ft tall and he looks a half foreigner with his white skin tone and tall nose.

Though they looks at him like that, he can only think that he is a charismatic guy.
His self esteemed are the lowest these days.

He used to be arrogant and always carry himself like he owns the world.
Now he felt silly.

He takes a deep breath and grab the bag on his back.
There's only a change of clothes a liter of mineral water and packets of bread,some snacks and cup noodles.
They will stay in this ethnic group for 3 days and 2 nights after all.
He is not saying he is picky but he just know that he won't be able to eat if they serve him something like worms.
He read about the articles about so many ethnic groups but haven't heard this tribe before.
There's no news about them.
So he is a bit excited and got a permission from his boss saying some 'good' news are also good once in a while.

Andy curse between his teeth.
The road is not even so he is exerting more efforts.
The road is straight alright, bumpy but straight, yet where is the sign board he needs to follow?

He is losing his strength.
He sits on one of the huge stone in the road.
He thought that after a while he will see others that are leading to the tribe but there's only him.
And what's more, the place has this weird ambiance that makes him remember the movie about cannibals.
He drinks water and then after calming himself he try to contact his professor.
Yet,

"I know there won't be any signal." He shakes his head thinking it's really his lost.

He stands up and walks again.
There's this sign saying SHORT CUT.
A smile appears in his lips.

"I've been walking for 2 hours at max and here is the sign saying short cut. I really want to know what is short and what is long?"

Instead of making fun of himself he walks to the direction of the road.
Just a moment ago, there are people climbing the same road.

"Hey! A short cut!"

"No. That is a dead end." The guide said smiling. "Let's walk another 30 minutes and the tribe will be there."

"Then what is that sign? Let's take it down."

"It's fine. It's a written rule not to mess with this sign in case you got the tribe angry."
The guide smiles wryly.
"Sided this is just a short road. You will notice you made a mistake and went back if nothing happens."

"If nothing happens?"

The guide smiles.
"According to my ancestors, lots of people lost their way in this sign board and the tribe treats it as a sacrifice to the God."

The people shivers.
Professor Romana thinks of contacting his former student to warn him about this sign since that guy is very curious one but there is no signal.

A/N:
Wahahahahahhahah