twelve

"He didn't kiss you?" Jaden asked, his eyes almost popping out of his head. "Really?"

"He kissed my cheek."

"Is your cheek your mouth now?" Jaden asked, shaking his head at me.

I glared at him. It was seven in the morning and I was trying to pack him lunch. He had asked me to after waking me up this morning to ask for details. For lunch I heated and packed up the food I had gotten for him from my date with Nate, the baked potatoes with steak and roasted vegetables.. Jaden had been fast asleep when I had gotten home last night, so he couldn't eat it then.

"You're quite rude."

"It's one of my many charms." Jaden said, grinning at me.

I shook my head at Jaden, I sealed the little plastic container and slid it towards Jaden. He clapped when he got it, lifting it to his nose so he could sniff at him. Huh, I accidentally adopted a puppy. I took out some cash from my wallet and also slid it Jaden who looked down at it and then back up at me.

"What?" I asked him.

He doesn't reply for a couple of seconds but he does reach out to take the money. "Thank you." he said and I nodded. I walked around the table and pushed my hand into his hair, ruffling it. Jaden doesn't shy away from the ruffle and instead, seemed to leaned into it. Definitely a puppy.

"You'll have to leave in a bit. Do you want me to walk you to the stop?" I asked Jaden.

"Nah. You were out pretty late last night. You should get some rest." he said and I smiled softly down at him. He was the sweetest. I leaned down and pressed a kiss against his head. "Have a good day."

"You too." Jaden said when I pulled back. "Don't think too much about the non-kiss. This Nate guy actually likes you and it seems like he doesn't want to rush anything., you know?"

"I know, puppy."

"Oh, that's a new one." Jaden said as he got up from his seat, unzipping his backpack and tucking the plate of food in it. I quickly stopped him. I walked over to the drawers and got out a mini bag where he could put the food in and hold correctly. Jaden watched me in silence again, his gaze moving from my face to my hands.

"Here. You can hold on to it like this and not be worried about it spilling onto your books." I said as I handed him the bag.

Jaden doesn't say anything to me until he left at fifteen minutes past seven. Once he was gone, I locked the door and made a beeline for my bedroom, dropping face first into the bed. The house was quiet and it felt empty. I hadn't really noticed it before. How lively my apartment had become after Jaden began to live with me.

He was like the little brother I never had.

I was startled out of my thoughts by my phone vibrating. I pulled my head off the bed, hands tapping here and there to find the phone. I finally did and chuckled when I saw it was a facetime call from Arlen.

I tapped on the green button, flipping myself onto my back so I could look at the camera properly.

"What's this Jaden is saying about Nate not kissing you?" Arlen yelled once I picked the call. Key winced behind him and it made me want to laugh.

"He kissed my cheek." I argued. "Does Jaden text you all the time?"

"Of course he does. I'm like his really cool rich uncle." Arlen said, winking at the screen. "Don't think you can distract me from the real issue here. Why do you think he didn't kiss you?"

"Because he's a gentleman and wants to take it slow."

"I like him."

Arlen looked tilted his head to the side so he could look at his husband. "You like everyone, Key." From their angle it looked like Arlen was sitting on his husband's lap, the two of them facing the laptop.