Hoarding Knowledge: Chapter Two

Alden found no difficulty in bending the wills of the faculty to aid him with resources for his research. He simply convinced them that he had the potential to discover magic's origins with Thomas's research. When they asked him how he came to find this information and attempted to grill him on its validity, he dragged them off the topic by addressing the school's desire for expansion and the possibilities after making such a discovery. When their imaginations started to run wild, so did the money and manpower.

Three months later, they were at sea, sailing toward their destination with vigor and excitement. Thomas hand-selected the many students onboard the boat for the expedition of a great many who applied. While the boy himself was no gladiator, he made sure to choose plenty of strong young men for the journey so they could move the supplies and deal with any physical obstacles within the ruins. Bright minds and strong bodies, and plenty of them to spare, promised for a bountiful journey.

Alden looked forward to the horizon. In a matter of days, they would make landfall and their journey would begin. It would likely take up to a week to travel inland enough to set up camp by the cave entrance to the ruins, possible longer if the terrain had worsened. It was an active volcanic island, after all. Alden remained unfettered by worries, however, and eagerly awaited the prize ahead.

"Professor!" Thomas cried out from mid deck.

Alden turned to view his student clad in sandals, short pants, and without a top running to his position. He had to admit, the young man still managed to look dashing, even if he wasn't really one to hit the gym.

"What is it?" Alden asked bluntly. He was in no mood to jest or banter.

"Shall I have everyone prep the travel supplies for docking?" Thomas asked.

"Yes, might as well. Get it done."

Thomas rushed off to bark out the orders. The young man had spunk, which Alden could certainly appreciate, and a sharp sense of leadership. Some of the more arrogant students didn't appreciate it, but their opinions meant little to the ones who made this expedition happen. He sighed, brushing off his wish that Thomas were a little bit older.

Alden left his perch at the bow of the ship and walked about to observe the students and shiphands at work. The ship's crew initially wanted the students to stay back, but when they saw that most could complete simple tasks like moving crates and other simple items around, they gladly let them help there. Another thing Alden could relate to in the people around him; the desire to be given his work to do mostly himself.

Without realizing, Alden walked forward right into a short box and tripped, nearly planting his face on the deck. One of his student assistants caught him, luckily, and helped him up.

"Watch your step, professor," he said.

Alden cleared his throat. "Mhm, yes, thank you." He began to walk away but the student stopped him.

"Wait, I have some questions about where we are going," he practically pleaded.

"Did Thomas not explain things to you before?" Alden asked.

"Well, I guess it's less about where we're going and more about what to expect."

Alden sighed. "Very well, what do you want to ask?" He was already growing impatient.

"While I can't say I am too familiar with Mohrnighans, I have learned a few things from my other readings," the student began. "I know that most of the ruins we know about, or believe we know about yet can't seem to find, are of questionable integrity."

"Meaning?" Alden asked.

"Meaning, they are less than useful at times," the student went on. "I read into it a little when Thomas signed me up. How safe do you expect these ruins to be?"

"Plenty safe," Alden replied in a chiding tone. "I told Thomas to bring students who could handle any physical labor we may encounter. You will all be able to build any safeties we might need. I am a magic user, and I believe several of you are as well. I don't know why you would worry about it, especially now."

"I am not worried, just curious," The student carped. "I trust Thomas not to lead us astray and get us on some expedition to hell and back, minus the part about coming back. He isn't obsessed with research, he just loves learning."

"Indeed, he is a good student," Alden said. He wasn't an idiot; he caught what this student was saying, and he was done with this conversation. "And you might make as good a student as him if you would simply follow the lesson plans without worrying about it. You don't learn in your comfort zone." Alden briskly turned around and walked off.

"Don't learn much from being dead, either," the student muttered.

Alden had a reputation for pursuing research with gusto, sure, but he never put any students in harm's way. He had never had any reason to in the past, and he likely wouldn't in the future. He huffed just thinking about the disrespect that student showed him making such a suggestion. When they returned, he would have to have a word with the student's head instructor. Assuming the student was important enough to go find his name. He may not even be one worth remembering, ultimately.

After the distasteful encounter, Alden made a point of it to avoid interactions with any students below Thomas to avoid feeling such frustrations again. He simply wished to arrive and get to the journey, and he did not wish to deal with the students' petty concerns and trivial issues. Before long, he would be closer than ever to the secret of the creation of magic, and then, he just might be done with this nonsensical work forever.

Until then, he would have to play relatively well with the students and staff of the university when he returned. They would no doubt give him plenty of leeway once he displayed his extraordinary findings, and any further expeditions would no doubt come easily. If he played his cards right, he could sell his story and fund his own expeditions, never dealing with the useless bureaucracy of institutionalized learning again. Independence and power would be his, and he could pursue further knowledge with no impedance at all.