Paradise

Master Orwell carried his textbooks through the hall as if they contained the greatest secrets to life itself. He believed firmly in the importance of biology; his field of specialty; and sought to impart that respect on his apprentices. It could be a challenge at times, though, with the other masters pulling at them in other directions to other fields.

Still, every pursuit held value, even if some had less than others, and the splitting of manpower was a necessary, if detestable, action. Master Abdo had to keep the monastery in fighting shape in case of attack or for those who were to go out and find new members, Ing had to focus on physics and chemistry, and Leto focused on magical augmentation of each field. Orwell never got to know most of the other masters beyond them.

He arrived in his lecture hall to chattering apprentices who shut up the moment he walked in. They all learned respect early on, in part thanks to Master Abdo's discipline. Orwell appreciated their rapt attention and began his lecture, ignoring disinterested apprentices in the rear and focusing his energy on kids who could actually learn. He finished quickly and sent the apprentices off to their next classes.

"Remember to check up on your poisonous plants for the exam," he said as they all left.

With his lecture concluded, Orwell walked to the master's galley for lunch. He looked out over the mountain range below on his walk, thinking about his next expedition below to collect plant samples from the mountain caves that dotted the range. He nearly bumped into several apprentices as he walked, unphased by their cries to watch his step followed by quick apologies and scurrying feet.

He arrived at the galley to the wondrous sight of his own gardening feeding the masters the bulk of their necessary nutrients, vindicating his field of study against criticism. The masters all sat in small groups, chattering quietly amongst themselves and invited assistants who would take their place one day. Orwell had yet to choose his future replacement.

"Master Orwell."

Orwell turned around to see Master Ing standing behind him, short in stature but strangely powerful in presence. The two bowed to each other as they did in typical greeting.

"Master Ing, a pleasant surprise," Orwell said. "How is the fertilizer coming along?"

"It's coming along well. I've made some strides in its efficiency lately."

"Good, maybe we can increase food production and get Master Abdo to leave us alone about feeding the warriors."

The two stood in line discussing their work and cross-field studies as they got their food and claimed a table. Other masters briefly nodded to them when they passed by, though their greetings went largely unnoticed as the two were enthralled by their dialogue.

"The strides I have made are starting to slow down, so I think it's time to bring Master Leto into the experiments," Ing said as he took his last bite. "His work should help make the production process fast enough to create more of the fertilizer and spread it quicker. He can really maximize the efficiency."

"That would be best," Orwell said. "He and Master Newton were able to make my hydroponics better together."

"Maybe I will see if Master Newton can build me better machinery, then," Ing said. He and Orwell stood. "Alright, I must get back to the experiments. Bring any issues with the fertilizer to my attention."

"And bring me as much as you can make," Orwell replied.

The two parted ways and Orwell went off to his garden. Apprentices bowed to him as he passed, though he did not return it, as they had yet to earn the respect of any master as mere apprentices. Only the journeymen among them were recognized by the masters, individuals who chose to remain to further intelligent knowledge and picked a field to study exclusively.

Orwell arrived at his garden to find his journeymen toiling away at the hydroponics, maintaining them and monitoring the plants to ensure they didn't get too much or too little water. Master Newton had made dew collectors for the garden so that there would be plenty of water each morning to supply the plants with what they needed atop the mountain.

"What is the progress?" Orwell asked loudly of the apprentice before him, a young lady noting the progress of the fertilizer.

"The fertilizer is working well," the girl said flatly. "The plants are showing an average of fourteen percent faster growth with the same overall amount of fertilizer. The extra nitrogen appears to be doing the trick."

"Excellent," Master Orwell said. "What are the outliers?"

"Tomatoes, eggplants, and avocados appear to all suffer reduced rates compared to the others, though they are still improved."

"Why?"

"We are currently working on that."

"Figure it out, I will get Master Ing to change his formula if possible."

The girl wordlessly turned back to the plants and picked up a new piece of paper to start writing down theories for the plants. To speed things up, Master Orwell pulled each book she would need slightly away from the others so she could get them faster and find the solution to their problem. It may not come today, but every second counts in the pursuit of knowledge.

Orwell went to his office and started going over his management notes on the gardens and experiments. There was a lot to go through, many experiments being done in small space and short timeframes, but he lived for this. He had since he came to the Order at age eight. Without haste, he dove into his notes and tomes, looking for the answer to his next problem so he might find the next problem after that, and after that, and solve each one as he had countless times before and would countless times again.