Heir to Nothing: Chapter Three

Vesselin counted out the coppers and a couple of silvers in the cash box, biting each one to ensure authenticity and nodding approvingly every time. His fighters earned every tin they copper they received; they worked even harder than he did when he started, and his work earned him his own office and desk in the fight arena.

Vesselin rose through the ranks faster than any other fighter in the history of the illegal sport, beating men senseless when it was simple competition and obliterating them when it got personal. The incident with Lane still festered in the back of his mind, even five years later. No one tried anything that dirty since.

Vesselin didn't fight much anymore, though, not since he started training others. Orphans, exclusively, one even from his old home. He knew what it meant to be alone and helpless on the street, how good it was to find a community of support, and he did his best to provide. And he always paid his dues; to the old orphanage that did the best it could with what it had, to his old alleyway friends, everyone. He still went home with the same amount of money he did before he started training others.

Vesselin set aside the funds to pay out to his boys and girl and sat back in his seat, mind wandering. He had been at this for a while, much longer than most stayed in the game. People died, got hurt, used money to get real jobs. Not him, though. There was no satisfaction in serving the already over-served, even if it paid well.

His fighters had talent, for sure, and the girl even had a talent for teaching. When Vesselin wasn't around, she effectively took over for him, running everything. Before long, she would have his position. Why not give it over now?

"Why not?" Vesselin asked himself with a grin. "Vespa!"

"Yeah, boss?" a strangely high-pitched voice replied.

A tall, lanky kosmich elf girl strutted into the office with her hands in her pockets and a curious look in her one eye. Vesselin could never help but notice the scars all over her light blue skin, starting at the top of the left side of her head and going down below the neckline of her shirt. Vesselin was sure any straight man would find her to be a thing of beauty regardless.

"You know, I was there when you got a few of those scars of yours," Vesselin opened. "Tough fights, but you came out on top."

"Uhh... thanks?"

"They ever bother you?"

"No. Not having them, at least. Now, GETTING them..."

"Ha, I hear that."

Vesselin looked over at the cash box, at his personal desk, and around at the office. He had earned all of this, but where was it going? Did the ball stop here for him? Was it the max of his potential? It couldn't be, not for him, not for Vespa, not for anyone. There had to be another level.

"Boss?"

"How about no more scars?" Vesselin asked. "How about no more fights unless YOU challenge someone?"

"Sounds like a fairytale," Vespa chuckled.

"Not for me."

"I'm not you, boss."

"You are now!"

Vesselin stood up and spun to the side, throwing his arms out toward his chair with jazz hands and a ridiculous expression. Vespa had to shake her head and reel back for a moment, hands up with a face riddled with confusion.

"Whoa, what?"

"I've seen the way you handle the boys, how you keep 'em in line. It's impressive! And it's at least as good as I can do." Vesselin walked over to Vespa and put his hands on her shoulders. "It's time to pass the buck to you, lassie."

"I... wait, what?" Vespa looked down at him incredulously. "I can't, that's just- what will YOU do?"

"It's about time for me to move on anyway," Vesselin said. "I've done all I can, here. I've built you three up, three more than I ever thought. I'll take my winnings and reinvest."

"I-I- but, we..."

"Lassie, this ain't the last time you'll see or hear of me. I remember where I came from and the people who helped me along the way. So please, keep supporting the groups in the ledger there."

"Vess..." Vespa looked down with tears in her eyes and pulled Vesselin into a tight hug. "I understand."

"I know, and that's why I love you guys," Vesselin said. "God, I'm only three years older than you, I sound like I'm your father or something."

"Closest thing we ever had," Vespa replied with a sniff. "We'll always remember you. And we'll write!"

"Ha! Keep your address, I'll send the first letter to keep you informed!" Vesselin slapped her shoulders and stepped back. "Now, take your desk and do the job you've earned."

"Thank you, Vess," Vespa said. "Good luck out there; I know you'll do something amazing."

"Aye, lassie. I plan to."

With a last wave goodbye and a visit to the boys to the side to let them know, Vesselin left with a sendoff worthy of the greatest. As he stepped out of the darkness for the last time, he took a moment for his eyes to adjust as citizens walked past and nodded respectfully. Most knew him by now, and even a man from the underworld could earn respect from the cleaner among society.

Vesselin took one last walk over to the food cart that served him for so many years, no longer sticking close to the wall and avoiding the people. Vesselin commanded the middle of the walkway, proudly watching people make way for him and respectfully returning their nods of acknowledgment.

As he walked up to the cart, Pho greeted him as he always had. He started preparing Vesselin's favorite meal and had it halfway done by the time Vesselin was upon the cart.

"How's everything, Pho?" Vesselin asked cheerily.

"Can't complain much!" Pho replied.

"Kids doin' good?"

"Hans turns three tomorrow."

"Well, tell him an old friend says happy birthday!"

"Haha, I shall!"

Pho turned to Vesselin and handed him his food, but paused as Vesselin took it and stood to eat it right there. He cocked his head sideways at his old friend; he never ate there.

"You've got a real gleam in your eye," Pho said.

"Do I, now?" Vesselin asked with a grin.

"Well, I always knew this day would come." Pho sighed. "It was good times, though."

"What gave it away?"

"You're too different today," Pho said. "People only act this different when change is on the way."

"Ha, 'tis true. I'm done with the underground life."

"That is quite the change!" Pho said. "Well, whatever your reason, I trust it. All things in the universe will change."

"Yep. Now, I just gotta figure what I'm gonna do."

"New adventures and experiences?" Pho asked.

"Something like that might be a nice change of pace."

"Well, then, as my parting gift to you, an idea," Pho said, leaning onto his counter, shifting his gaze about as if telling some juicy bit of gossip. "There's an adventurer, orphaned young, like you, that frequents a tavern in Joustbergh. The champion-now-adventurer Galactica seems to hang out there as well. I understand they work together." Vesselin smiled.

"You know what? They sound pretty interesting."

Vesselin and Pho shared a firm handshake, and with that, Vesselin sorted his alley affairs and made his way to the train station. It was time to change the scenery, the tone, the pace of his life, to leave the dust of his old life and fly into that wild blue yonder. And joining a motley crew of adventurers out for glory and gold would surely send him flying.