Chapter 12 - The Kikorangi

"Do you think this is connected to whatever G.I.A. wanted with my blood?" I asked.

"It seems like the most logical conclusion, doesn't it?" replied Keleon.

"Yeah," I conceded. "How are we supposed to kiss each other now, without risk of injury?"

Keleon propped himself up too.

"That's what you're concerned about?" he asked. "We think there could be something in your blood that can create gravimetric distortions, and you're worried about how we should deal with the kissing?"

I felt like my priorities were reasonable, so I nodded and smirked a little.

"You're incorrigible," he responded, pushing me playfully, and I pecked him on the lips to prove where my priorities lay. "So, the kissing itself didn't seem to set it off. Nothing happened in the cockpit. So maybe it's not the actual kissing that's causing the distortions. Can you feel any kind of connection to it?"

"Um, not really," I confessed. "It's not like I knew what I was doing. I wasn't trying to get anything to float. I didn't even really believe it could have been me doing it until now. I haven't got the first idea how to connect to it or control it."

"OK," said Keleon, thoughtfully.

"I did notice that the floating didn't kick in until the kissing got ... intense. So maybe it's linked to my emotional state rather than the actual kissing?"

"It sounds like maybe it is," he agreed. "In which case we probably just need to be careful about your emotional state until we have a bit more time to figure it out."

"Shame," I pouted playfully. "I don't really want to be careful when I'm around you."

"Me neither," he said sincerely. "But it's just until things settle down, then we can take some time to investigate it more, OK?"

"Hmph." I kept pouting and pretended to sulk by crossing my arms and rolling over, but he rolled me back and pinned me to the bed.

"Damon?" he smirked at my antics. "We'll work it out, OK?"

I felt myself go weak at his promise to make things work with me, and I couldn't fake being grumpy anymore. He leaned down and kissed me gently, and then stood up.

"Until then, we have a ship to fly," he declared. "It's getting close to when we need to land, so if you want to land the ship, why don't I start talking you through what's going to happen?"

He took my hand and led us both back to the cockpit, with me in the pilot's seat and him in the co-pilot's seat. True to his word, he talked me through what was likely to happen as we entered the planet's atmosphere, and how we were going to land at the right coordinates by entering the orbit of the Kikorangi planet before adjusting course. Keleon reminded me that he had some of the controls on the co-pilot side and was able to take over some of the functionality if needed.

It wasn't long before we were approaching the blue planet, and I successfully took the ship onto the required flight path. We didn't need direction from a contact from the planet this time, because we planned to land in an open space, rather than in a hanger or docking bay. I lowered the craft gently towards the specified coordinates and was delighted when it ended up right where we'd agreed. Now I'd managed a full flight on my own (albeit under instruction), and I was proud of the achievement. I knew it has been a relatively simple journey, and I would need more training in order to do anything more complicated, but still, it was a good start. I smiled at my boyfriend who looked pleased with me too.