i wanted three-------->chp26

"But I don't wanna."

Marinette expected this. It was why she had taken her time finishing the quilt, delaying this inevitable struggle for another week. She could have just taken it to Rose earlier, but Emma had continued asking about the quilt, so Marinette had to face this.

"But that's why we made it," Marinette said. "So that we could give it to someone else."

"But I want it."

Marinette's mouth pinched into a thin line. "Emma," she said, looking the girl straight in the eye. "I know you like it, but we made this quilt for someone who doesn't have a quilt so that they can be happy."

Emma just continued to pout and snuggle the quilt.

Marinette heard footsteps coming behind her. "Emma," Adrien said, kneeling down beside Marinette. "You knew that you were helping Marinette make this quilt to give away. You and Marinette can make a new quilt-"

"But I like this one."

"Emma," Adrien continued. "You and Marinette can make a new quilt. But only if you give this one away."

And Emma fell to the ground with a pout and a cry.

Marinette looked over to Adrien who just looked back at her with the same exasperated expression. Adrien leaned over to whisper, "I'm sorry".

"I expected this," she whispered back.

They remained side by side while Emma held the blanket, her cries slowly subsiding.

"Emma," Marinette tried again. "You have blankets and toys and lots of other things. But there are kids who don't have that. This is going to make some kid just like you very happy. Aren't you always happy when you get something new?"

Emma nodded.

"And this blanket," Adrien said, reaching to touch the quilt Emma had in her hands, "is going to make someone very happy. You and Marinette can always make another quilt, but some kids don't get to make quilts. They don't have a blanket. Don't you think this should go to someone who doesn't have a blanket?"

At this, Emma cried again.

Adrien shot an apologetic cringe at Marinette. She waved it off and patted his arm reassuringly. It wasn't his fault that Emma was just being a four-year-old who couldn't comprehend that some kids didn't have what she did.

Some three minutes later, Emma finally handed over the blanket, tears still in her eyes as Adrien rubbed her shoulders.

"Thank you, Emma," Marinette said. "You'll get to make someone very happy."

She buried her head in her dad's shoulder. He hugged her, rubbing her back. "I'm very proud of you, Emma."

With a whine, she grabbed Adrien's shirt tightly. He picked her up and held her a moment, rubbing her back soothingly.

Marinette stood from her spot kneeling on the floor, shooting him an apologetic smile in the process. It looked like he shrugged, mouthing "it's okay."

The rest of the morning involved a somewhat moody Emma. Admittedly, Marinette was thankful that Emma's afternoon nap meant Marinette didn't have to deal with her for a short while.