fashion week-------->chp11

fashion week:

Marinette nodded at the change in topic.

“Fashion week is coming up, meaning that, first off, my work weeks are going to be longer.”

“As you told me last week,” Marinette said.

Adrien nodded. “Yes. And that’s just the work load minus some of the events. I haven’t attended the evening events for a long while because of Emma. However, since my father found out that I hired a good nanny, he believes that now I’ll be able to attend said events. Now, feel free to say no, but would you, by any chance, be able to watch Emma those extra…three hours or so? Or is that unacceptable. Please, don’t feel bad if you can’t or don’t want to, but know I’m willing to pay you bonus for it. My father would really appreciate if I was there, meaning we both would be in your debt for it.”

Marinette paused in thought. “I mean,” she began. “I could if you really needed me to. I don’t have anything planned.” The extra cash wouldn’t hurt, either, especially since she was squirreling it away for future plans.

Adrien nodded. “I would really appreciate it. There are three nights: Wednesday, Friday… and then there’s the kicker: Saturday. If you can only do the weekday nights, that’s fine. I can work with that. I just need to know now so I can search for a babysitter.”

Marinette paused. “I can do Saturday, as long as it’s only the night.”

“It is,” Adrien said. “It’s the big end-of-the-week ball with all the investors and fashion designers and everyone making deals and etcetera. And I need to be there so I know about all said deals and whatnot. It’s easier than someone taking notes of it all and handing them for me to sort out later. I’ve done that for a while, and it’s a real pain.”

“Understandable.”

“It’s from six to midnight,” he said. “Because it’s a dinner. While I’m insistent upon leaving early, hoping to be home ten thirty-ish, it might be a little later.”

“That’s fine,” Marinette said. “I’m very much a night owl.”

Adrien relaxed. “You have no idea how appreciative I am.”

Marinette shrugged. “It’s no problem. From the sounds of it, I’ll be putting Emma to bed, then.”

“Yes,” Adrien said, as though he only just realized it himself. “In bed by eight, then I read her a story, which means lights out by eight ten, eight fifteen. Eight thirty cut off on the weekends because I read an extra chapter.”

Marinette grinned. “I’m glad to hear you read with her. I’ll admit I was a bit worried when she didn’t want to read the recipe that first day.”

“Yes,” Adrien growled. “I have Ms. Mendeleiev to thank for that. The reason I stayed home with new nannies from then on, and the reason Emma got Plagg. I’m still amazed that you got her to read considering how many nannies before you failed.”

“Tears were involved,” Marinette admitted. “But once we got past them, everything was good. I wanted to read more with her, as well as maybe do some worksheets in the future.”

“That sounds great,” Adrien agreed.

“But that’s also the reason I asked you to get the letter magnets,” Marinette said. “I wanted to see if that would encourage her.”

Adrien just grinned. “Thank you. That… I really appreciate the effort you’re making to ensure Emma reads. That’s really going to help when she goes into kindergarten next year.”

“I would like to think that’s part of my job,” Marinette dismissed with a shrug.

“Well, either way, thank you. It’s very much appreciated.”

“You’re welcome.”

A short silence passed between them. “I… guess if that’s all…?”

Marinette thought it over. “I don’t think so. I can probably figure out bath time.”

Adrien nodded. “She’s not one to fuss about baths, so she’ll tell you if you’re doing something wrong.”

It was a relief to hear. “Then I guess the only other thing I can think of is dinner for Saturday.”

“I’ll have her fed,” Adrien said. “You won’t have to worry about it.”

Marinette nodded. “Okay. So, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday of… next week?”

“Yes,” Adrien confirmed. He took out a pad of paper. “Wednesday,” he said writing it down, “the event is seven to ten. Friday, same, Saturday is the six to hopefully ten. Can you be here half an hour before that?”

Marinette nodded.

“Emma’s bed time is eight,” he continued, scribbling down notes on the little paper. “No television or tablets after seven; she needs to wind down. Bath time usually takes half an hour with her, then have her brush her teeth before bed.”

“All right.”

“Perfect.” Adrien ripped the sheet of paper off the pad to hand over to Marinette. “One last thing,” he said as Marinette took the paper from his hand. “Emma has never had a nanny at night. I’ve always been there.”

“There’s a first time for everything,” Marinette said with a shrug. “I’m sure she’ll be fine.”

“I’ll keep my fingers crossed for it,” Adrien said. “Just thought I’d give you that warning because I don’t know if she’ll react to it or not.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Thank you,” Adrien said with a smile that quickly caused Marinette to remember why she had plastered his photos on her wall as a young teenager. “I really appreciate you doing this. You’re incredible.”

Word, she even felt like a teenager again as she fought back a blush. She was an adult, for heaven’s sake, she could handle a compliment. “I try.”