44

"Perfect timing," Padme says as she got the ship ready to land next to Obi-Wan's. Down on the platform stood the Jedi Grand Master, facing Anakin. Anakin looked angry. This may not have been perfect timing. 

They may have already been too late.

The sound of a cruiser approaching the platform, Obi-Wan turns his attention to Padme and me. He wore an expression of anger mixed with desperation, but as he caught sight of us, all of the color drained from his face. I got the feeling this may have been a bad idea to follow him there.

Padme landed the ship, and I was already waiting impatiently at the ramp for it to open. Air hissed as the ramp lowered. I walked outside, down the ramp, and was immediately hit with a gust of hot, dry air. It was almost unbearable. I look down at my tunic that I had changed into in the ship. A faint stain of dry blood stained the front where the incisions were made. I almost wish that I had dressed lighter, but these layers protected the stitches. 

I look back up, not necessarily expecting a warm welcome.

"What is she doing here?" a voice booms.

I stop. The voice was Anakin's. But it sounded so mad. So angry. So full of hate.

This did not sound like Anakin.

Obi-Wan walks over to me and whispers under his breath, "You shouldn't be here."

His expression is one of sincere concern. I read his face for a moment. He looks so old. No longer is he the young Jedi Master sporting the youthful mullet. No longer is he training an impulsive Padawan. I never noticed until now how his face was riddled with wrinkles. They ran along his forehead in deep, prominent lines. 

"(Y/N)," he says. "You should leave."

At his words, I narrow my face toward him. He is trying to come between Anakin and me, too. I'm sure Obi-Wan is trying to do what he thinks is best for me. I'm sure he thinks he is being a good friend.

But I can handle myself.

I ignore him, and walk forward, slightly hitting his shoulder with mine. I hear him stagger a bit, before letting out a deep sigh. He knows he can't stop me. I'm far too persistent. 

"Anakin," I let out as I finally reach him. I inch closer toward him, stopping so there is only inches between our face. "What is going on."

Anakin's hard expression softens, and he closes his eyes. His prosthetic hand reaches up and grazes my cheek, rubbing his thumb back and forth. The hand feels cool against my skin. This is nice. I miss this. 

He lets out a deep breath, "Let's leave the Order."

"Okay," I respond immediately. The quick decision must've shocked him, because his eyes shoot open and he freezes.

"What?"

"This is madness, Anakin," I choke, holding back tears. "Let's leave. Now. We don't have to see anyone else ever again. Let's run away. Please, Anakin."

To my surprise, he nods. This was easier than I'd expected. "You're right." He lets out a quiet chuckle, "You're so right, my love. I'm so sorry. For everything."

Apologies could wait. Right now, all that mattered is getting Anakin and the children out of here. I craned my neck up and pressed my lips to Anakin's for a short moment, expressing my gratitude and love for him without having to say it. As I pulled away, I turned, starting toward the Naboo cruiser where the twins rest. 

"What is happening?" Obi-Wan asks.

"I'm getting the twins," I announce, "and then Anakin and I are leaving. For good."