Chapter 61 | "treat her well"

"I missed you too, Hyunnie."

Jaemin crushed her into his chest, easily holding her as he inhaled her familiar scent. He felt his whole body relax once she was in his arms.

"I'm glad you kept your promise." She said, letting go of him with a smile.

He looked at her confused for a moment before she was swept away by the other members running over to hug her. She took the time to embrace each one of them, exchanging relieved "i missed you"s with every boy.

"Jeno." She breathes out with a smile when a familiar pair of muscular arms wrapped around her waist from behind. She turned in his arms, reaching up to give him a quick hug.

"You're okay." He whispered out, staring at her in adoration.

"Yes I am. It seems you are too, goddamn." She exclaimed, pinching his biceps. "Save some for the rest of them." Jeno let out a small embarrassed laugh before stepping to the side.

"Ji"

"Hey Jae." The two stared at each other for a moment before he opened his arms. She walked over slowly and let herself be pulled into his chest.

"I'm sor-"

"Don't even start with me." She cut him off, breaking from the hug. "You have nothing to apologize for. I'm here. In one piece." She smiled at him, meeting his tear filled eyes before he pulled her into another hug.

"I'm just so glad that you're okay." He released her as she went back to the front of the group.

"You guys look good." She said surveying them with a nod of approval.

"Yeah and you look like a mess" Donghyuck called out, causing her to shoot a playful glare his way. "But you're a living mess which is the most important thing." He added with a genuine smile.

"Let's go home guys."

- - -

"So what promise did I keep exactly?" Jaemin asked her as they walked through the garden together later that night.

"Weren't you the one who said you'd be waiting to give me hug once I was better?" She smirked at him as his jaw dropped. "I should also say thank you," she continued on, dragging him forward, "for keeping me updated with the gang. It made everything much easier for me."

Jaemin let out a nervous laugh, glancing down at the girl as his heart rate started to increase.

"Did you uh...did you hear anything else I said?"

"Not that I can remember..." she trailed off, diverting her eyes and causing him to let out a sigh of relief. "Why? Do you have something to tell me?" He widened his eyes as they approached a familiar bench and took a seat.

"No no not at all, I was just curious."

"Don't tell the others that I could hear them, okay? It'll be fun to surprise them later." She said with a wink. Jaemin just laughed and wrapped an arm over her shoulders, pulling her into his side.

"I really did miss you, Hyunnie. The house wasn't the same without you."

"I know Nana, but I'm here now. And I'm not going anywhere. I promise."

He turned to look down at her, a soft smile on both of their faces as they stared at one another in comfortable silence.

"Jihyun?" She heard her voice being called, breaking their moment.

"Yes Jae?" She asked as she noticed him approaching them.

"Can we talk? I have some stuff to... tell you." Jaehyun said, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.