Chapter Thirty-Five | The Broken Victor

| ATHORS NOTE |

Alright guys, there is one more chapter of this book! And then the sequel will be out! That being said, in the next chapter I'll post some questions I would love answered!

Stay classy <3

____________

The house in Victor's Village that she had gotten was across the street from Mags' house, and next to her house was Finnick's. It was a good size, but it was too big for just one person. But on the bright side, it came stocked up with everything the Capitol thought that a Victor might need. There were jackets, shoes, medicines and other medical supplies, cooking supplies, plenty of food, all sorts of clothes-- it was sickening how much she had already compared to how little she had a little over a week earlier.

But two days had passed, and Quinn hadn't set foot outside the house. Mags had come to visit, but Quinn turned her away. After that, she kept the door locked and the shades drawn. She had enough food to last until she absolutely had to leave for her Victory Tour.

She had done a lot of thinking in the two days since she had been back. She had concluded that Snow had been trying to break her down ever since her private session. He had done a good job at it too, she still couldn't think straight. Now, she couldn't even sleep. She couldn't even try to sleep without some sort of dream from the arena, or about something horrible happening to the only people that she cared about-- Mags, Annie, and Finnick. If something happened to them, she'd go insane. She wouldn't be able to function at all.

Not that sitting in her kitchen watching a glass bottle of liquir could count as functioning. But doing that was easier than letting herself sit and try to piece things together. It had taken one moment to break her, and then each and every moment after that was like taking a hammer and shattering the pieces into even smaller pieces. She had never been good at puzzles, she always got too frustrated with them. So she didn't even know where to start with putting herself back together. And that was probably what Snow wanted, he wanted her to not be able to cause anymore trouble because she was just...not able to.

But she knew that locking herself away wouldn't work forever. She'd have to leave eventually to get more to drink, and she was only giving herself more alone time to think which she knew would drive her insane.

Quinn jumped at the sound of someone knocking on the door. Quinn groaned as she roughly pushed herself away from the table. She tugged at her shirt to straighten it and she cleared her throat as she peered out the peep hole only to see Annie standing on her steps.

"I don't want to talk, Annie." Quinn said, standing on that side of the door. Not touching it, but looking at it as if Annie could see her. Which she knew she couldn't.

"You can't keep yourself locked up in there forever."

"I have enough food for a few more days." Quinn retorted quickly, her voice was more stern and steady than before. She wasn't going to change her mind.

Annie stayed quiet for a moment. At first Quinn thought-- no she hoped that Annie had taken the hint and left her alone. But when she checked out the peep hole, she saw that Annie was still standing there.

"Please let me in, Quinn." she pleaded.

Quinn shook her head even though she knew Annie couldn't see her, "No, I don't want to see anyone."

"Then won't you at least talk to me? Through the door?"

"Why." Quinn asked flatly and maybe a bit bitterly too. But she didn't intend for it to sound like that.

"All of us have to talk to somebody..." she replied honestly.

"I don't." Quinn retorted stubbornly. "I can't."

Quinn wanted to just tell Annie the truth. That she couldn't handle any of it, that she couldn't handle being a Victor that rebels liked and Snow hated.

"Why not?"

"Because then he'll know I care about you." Quinn replied weakly, a quick thought flooded her mind for a moment about what would happen if she ever slipped up and said something against Snow again. He'd take it out on Annie if he thought it'd hurt her. And it would. She didn't want to risk Annie's life. And enough innocent people had died because of her by now, Calab, Jenson, Rosa and the other orphans...

"Who's he?"

"You know who, Annie." she replied, "Besides, I'm really tiered...I'll...uh...I'll come by tomorrow, okay?"

"Promise?"

"Yeah, yeah I promise." she replied, "Cross my heart and hope to die." she said resiting the stupid saying her mother had taught her when she was little.

And now that hope to die part made a lot more sense.