chapter 2

ZARA HAD SKIPPED her work the next day, opting to stay home and treat her wounds instead

ZARA HAD SKIPPED her work the next day, opting to stay home and treat her wounds instead. When she had arrived late that night, she had rushed straight inside and had closed the door with more force than necessary.

She lived in an old apartment which she had come to call home since the last two years. Her mother had passed away when she was eleven and she was sent to live with her aunt. She had lived there for two years before running away.

Her aunt was an ignorant bitch who only cared about her parties with her equally rich friends. Her uncle was a pervert who looked at her creepily and her cousin was a spoiled brat who acted like she owned the world just because her dad had money.

She had ran away from them when she had had enough. She was thirteen, yes, but she was mature for her age. She didn't need someone to survive. They hadn't searched for her, something she was glad for.

The apartment was small with an average living room, a bedroom, a bathroom and a kitchen. It was big enough for her and extremely cosy. She loved it.

When she had looked at herself in the mirror after opening the handcuffs with a metal pin, she looked worse than ever. Her lip was bloodied and her face had a gaint cut on it, spread across her cheek. A bruise had started to form above her eyebrow and blood had been dripping down her chin and neck.

When she had said she was out of bandages and broke, she wasn't lying. Though her job paid well, renting an apartment and supporting herself was not easy. Sometimes she would work weekends at library for extra money but it still wasn't easy. Majority of her pay went in bills and the rest she saved.

Whenever she felt too deafeated, she would remind herself that it was better than living with her aunt. She would instantly feel better about her current situation.

Lacking bandages, she had used some old shirt to soak up blood. She had almost screamed when she had used rubbing alchohol on her wounds but she didn't want to risk infection. She had paced the shirt against her cheek and held an ice pack against her badly bruised wrist.

She could've called the police but it would be too compliacted. They would ask about her gaurdian since she was only fifteen, after all. It would have only led to even more trouble and Zara didn't want that.

So she had sucked it up and prayed that the guy won't come after her anymore. She had barely gotten any sleep because she had spent the whole night seeing the cctv camera outside the building that she had hacked into and groaning in pain.

Next morning, the bleeding had stopped but there was dried blood all over her face. The bruise had developed over her eyebrow and her hand only looked worse.

Not having the strength to get out of bed, she had skipped work. She would probably have the money cut off from her salary but she had no option but to stay. The whole day she was on edge and expected someone to come take her away but thankfully none of that happened.