chapter 27

IT HAD BEEN three days since Ava had confronted her in the school hallway

IT HAD BEEN three days since Ava had confronted her in the school hallway. The blonde had kept her distance but that hadn't stopped her from sending warning glances at Zara every time some other person was not in the vicinity.

Safe to say, Zara was on the edge of her seat. She hadn't told anyone about her warning.

She was giving Ava the benefit of doubt. She didn't want to jump too quickly to any conclusion.

Thursday evening when she entered the house alongside her brothers with the intention of dashing straight to her room and relaxing before work, she hadn't expected to be stopped by Sal.

"Zara." He called from what she presumed was the living room. She paused on the bottom step and gave Tino a questioning look. He only shrugged in return, kissed her nose and ran up the stairs.

She sighed and turned around, trotting towards the living room to see what he wanted. She was sure she hadn't done anything wrong. Or if she had, she didn't remember it. She racked her brain for an answer but there was no response.

Useless piece of soft tissues and blood vessels.

She entered the large room and found Sal with three unfamiliar people. She mentally glared at Sal. Couldn't he have given her a warning that she would be meeting strangers so she could somewhat mentally prepare herself? No, he just had to be quiet and now she would most likely be awkward.

Fantastic.

"Yes, Sal?" She questioned, completely ignoring the three other presence in the room. They wouldn't exist for her until Sal introduced them, if he planned to, that is.

"Sit down." He gestured to the space on the couch beside him. If it had been anyone other than him, Leo or Dele, she would have sat down anywhere but there just to spite them. Alas, she wouldn't be doing that to her eldest brother.

She sat down beside him after slipping her bag off her shoulder and placing it on her lap. She gave him a questioning look and he spoke.

"I would like you to meet some people." He gestured to the three who were staring at her intently. If they didn't quit staring within the next two minutes, she was throwing hands. "This is Elijah, one of the most important in our mafia and my friend. Overlooks all the work in our absence."

Elijah was a tall guy much like her brothers (big surprise there). He must have stood at a good 6'3" with broad shoulders and tousled hair. His skin was dark- darker than her brothers but his eyes were bright. She would have surely been intimidated by him if he wasn't giving her such a warm smile.

"Hello, Zara. Welcome home." He said and gave her a quick, friendly hug. So he was that close to the family. Got it.

"You too." She muttered distractedly but then realised what she had said. You too? You too? Fuck. Excuse her while she permanently moves to the south pole to live with her little black and white friends so she doesn't have to face another human ever again.