chapter 28

"ZARA ZARA ZARA

"ZARA ZARA ZARA." Ava tsked as she cornered the girl in an abandoned bathroom.

Zara was still having trouble processing how she ended up here.

It was Friday and lunch had just ended (Zara had to eat today. Leo had himself packed her a lunch and threatened her to finish it). Red had bid her goodbye and had gone to her own lessons while Zara had started towards the bleachers so she could sit under them and read a book. Red had informed her that it was her hangout spot that nobody knew about and Zara should check it.

And that was what Zara was going to do.

Well, going to do before her path was blocked by Ava and Vera who then proceeded to drag her to the abandoned bathroom on the second floor through the empty hallways. The bathroom was closed before Ava forced it open and threw Zara in.

And now she was advancing in on her.

"What do you want, Ava?" Zara asked, standing her ground. She wouldn't back down or show fear to this girl even if she was shaking on the inside.

"Oh, darling." Ava swept her hair behind her back, pausing a few steps away from her, "I thought I made it clear that I don't want you anywhere near Ben. Yet you seem to be his main concern nowadays."

Her brows furrowed, "He is my brother. And we live in the same house. I don't want him to be concerned either but if he is, what can I do in that?"

Her well-shaped brow lifted, "Ben also lives with his brothers but I don't see him so fixated on them. So worried about them. So concerned for them. And yet you come and ruin everything."

"I didn't ruin anything." She hoped she hadn't.

Ava let out a laugh along with Vera who was just standing behind them, observing everything, "You have, Zara. Ben's attention has been divided since you came here. And all your brothers talk about now is Zara this, Zara that."

She blinked, surprised, "If you want Ben to not care, then talk to him. What can I possibly do to help you here?"

"Distance yourself." Came her immediate reply, "Stop talking to him. Leave the house. Go back to the dumpster you came from." She swiftly answered.

"Ava, are you even hearing yourself right now-"

"Or best of all, kill yourself." She finished.

Zara froze. She looked at her in disbelief. Did she really just said that? Ava noticed her expression and grinned, "If you think I care if you live or die, I don't."

Somehow even when saying all this, there wasn't a percent of remorse or conflict on her face. Not even hesitation. As if telling someone that they should kill themselves was an everyday thing for her. She still stood tall with her head held high and that same layer of charm encasing her. But this time Zara wasn't amazed at her elegance. She was disgusted. How can someone be so calm while saying that?