15. Bluffing

The road to the compound was well worn and had clearly been met by tyres of vehicles much heavier than ours. Barren space lay around us and if someone didn't know what lay ahead, they would have thought they'd taken a wrong turn to the middle of nowhere. It was made to look that way, unassuming in the lead-up like there was nothing at the end.

The last thing EDIN needed was to be in full view of everybody. If people had known what was going on in there, I wondered if things may have ended any differently.

The stretch of road was longer than I remembered and my stomach sat in my throat, threatening to burst. I knew how to fake confidence and I knew how to play the game. But this wasn't a game anymore.

"Hello-" a static crackling came from the radio on the dashboard. I hadn't even realised it was on.

Chris snapped his head to me. "What was that? Did you do that?"

"I didn't touch anything!"

His grip launched to the dials on the centre console, twisting and turning them as he tried to get another sound.

"You think it was them?" he asked.

"'Them' is a pretty vague term. You're going to need to clarify that one."

"It sounded like a man," he muttered to himself.

"Anybody... Don't... Lab..."

"What do you think he's saying?"

"Nothing," I replied. "You could hardly make that out."

The large white building at the end of the road started to come into view and the recognition came flooding back like waves rushing the shoreline. Dark windows scattered the outside of the building, symmetrical and identical in their size. It was unnerving looking at them. There was no doubt in my mind we were being watched. Nobody was in sight but I was certain they were there, waiting.

"This is an urgent message from the British Government-"

"God, not this shit again," I said, moving my hand to switch it off.

Chris slapped it away. "Don't!"

"Why?" I scowled. "Haven't you heard this message enough already?"

"When was the last time you heard it, huh?" he asked, his eyes wide. "Why is it playing now?"

I dropped my hand.

"Due to a widespread outbreak, any citizens who believe they may be Infected are instructed to report to their nearest Official."

My brows pressed together. "Is it just me, or is that different from what you remember?"

Chris' expression mirrored mine but his gaze didn't shift from the console.

"If your nearest Official is no longer available, individuals must report to the DH Base in Cornwall to await further instruction."

"DH?" I repeated.

"Shh."

"Failure to comply with these orders will result in immediate termination to prevent further spread of Infection."

The crackling voice faded away into static. My fingers tightened around the steering wheel.

"DH..." I mumbled. "Dawn Hill."

Everything seemed to stand still as we pulled up to the metal gate. Only the wind moved between the branches, rustling the leaves and making them tremble. The white building stood tall behind, just as I remembered. The name EDIN sat in large, black letters against the brick. Its meaning sat just below.

E.D.I.N

Exotic Diseases and Infection Neutralisation

"You know I always forget what EDIN stands for..." Chris said, leaning forward to read the glaring sign. "It's hard to forget it now that we're staring right at it."

I tried to push back the memories as I pulled on the handbrake and we both looked for any sign of life.

"Maybe it's deserted?" Chris suggested. "Maybe they packed up and moved somewhere else?"

I shook my head. "They wouldn't do that... They don't have anywhere else to move to." I paused, looking for any sort of movement to prove me right. "It's not deserted," I said finally, convincing myself more than Chris.

If there was anywhere to protect at the end of the world, it would've been EDIN.

"So, what? They're shy?" he asked. "Surely they would've done something by now. We would've seen somebody."

He looked around impatiently before winding down his window. The cool air flooded the car and he stuck his head out into the open, craning his neck to see further.

"Hey!" he called out. "Any of you scientists still alive?"

Within seconds, a single shot narrowly missed his head and he pulled himself back inside the truck.

"They're still alive," he confirmed, gasping. "And I don't think they're shy."

A crackle echoed from a loudspeaker above and a low voice followed. "This is not a survivor camp," it explained. "Turn your vehicle around and leave the premises or we will open fire."

"They're bluffing, right?" Chris scowled. "They wouldn't actually kill innocent people, right? Would they?"

I shook my head. "They're not bluffing."

The wind picked up and rattled the car. I knew what they were saying but I also knew we couldn't turn around. As my hand neared the handle, I was suddenly aware of the lack of noise, like a jury deliberating its verdict.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Chris spat, grabbing my arm.

I met his eyes which were washed with fear, complimenting his freshly pale skin. "They need to see my face," I explained.

"After what you just told me?"

"Trust me."

He released his grip and I pushed open the car door.

"Get back inside your vehicle," the crackling voice returned. It spoke again as my shoes hit the gravel. "This is your last warning,"

I held up open palms, lifting them higher as a surrender. The last thing I wanted was to antagonise them. I couldn't see the sniper that was trained on me but I could feel I was being watched from every direction.

"My name is Ben Robertson," I shouted towards the closed gate. "I'm Jackie Robertson's son... I think you need me."

The loudspeaker crackled like the microphone hadn't been turned off but there were no whispered words.

"Please repeat your name," it instructed.

"Ben Robertson." My voice trembled and I failed to hide it.

There was no voice to confirm whether I had said the right thing. The metal in front of me rattled as the gates seemed to pull themselves open and the twisting wires separated just enough for us. The sky rumbled above and began to darken. I felt almost a sense of relief as I climbed back into the truck and shut the door behind.

"Jesus," Chris exhaled. "Your name really does open doors."

He looked over when I still didn't drive forward.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No."