47. Neither Human Nor Infected

Chris was leaning against the bonnet of the car when Ben and I walked over. I thought my face might redden as his eyes shifted between the two of us but instead, I felt only proud to have Ben beside me again. His hand shifted lower to my waist, pressing me closer to him and I felt myself relaxing, melting into his touch.

"Are you two finished?" Chris asked as he threw a knife into the air and caught it by its handle.

Ben only laughed at the question. "I've waited over a year for that. You can wait an extra five minutes."

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes and pointed to the road ahead. "We should keep moving. Pilot is further behind than I thought he was. Em, when did you last see them?"

"I can't remember..." I replied, lifting my shoulders. "I'm sure they're both fine. They'll catch up."

"Yeah," Ben agreed. "You picked the car so you get to lead the way."

Chris narrowed his eyes. "Very funny."

As he took the lead, my stomach dropped with the realisation we'd left something behind at EDIN.

"What is it?" Ben asked, noticing my grip tighten around his hand.

"I don't have any of the serum... I didn't even think about it. I'll turn back without it."

"I doubt it would've survived that explosion," Chris said with a panicked tone. He'd already seen me turn once and that was enough for him. "Ben?"

Ben appeared calmer than I thought he would be as he pulled the rucksack from his shoulders and pulled out a small box of vials and needles. "You mean this serum?" he cocked a brow. "I think you'll be good for a while."

I ran a cold hand across the lid displaying the name 'HULLER 001'. "You stole it?"

"I didn't steal it," he replied. "It's technically mine anyway, I just took it back. It's not like they needed it for anything." His body shifted as my fingers moved, displaying the name to him. "After everything I did, I still can't believe they called it Huller."

I took the small box from him and scratched away at the label until it peeled off completely. Dropping the sticker to the ground, I passed it back to him with a smile.

"Now it can be called whatever you want and nobody will know."

Chris and I both watched as he slipped the box back inside and zipped it up. "That might be the most important bag you've ever carried in your life," Chris scoffed.

Ben exhaled. "No pressure."

*

The trees still lacked their green decorations as we moved further along the road. Each one of our footsteps echoed the empty streets like a bathroom reverb. I feared that I was no longer invisible to the Infected while wearing the contacts. The eyes were the first thing they used to differentiate between their kind and the living.

I was neither. I was lukewarm; neither hot nor cold, neither human nor the Infected.

The time that passed felt like forever. Nobody really spoke and I expected each of us was wondering where the next threat would come from or what would be around the next corner.

I was tired and exhausted by the time the rumbling of an engine came from behind us. The brakes screeched as the large truck skidded to a stop, barely touching Ben's bag.

Even before I saw it, the muffled cries of a woman could be heard from inside. Each of our heads turned in unison and we were greeted by Pilot jumping from the vehicle, bloodstains covering his mask and face.