29. Blood

*ONE YEAR LATER*

EDIN felt crowded.

Admittedly, the compound was huge but it didn't take long for it to feel like there wasn't enough space. The colours of the walls had only seemed to dull and the room seemed more and more cramped by the day. I'd counted every ceiling tile and I knew where all the marks were on the walls with precision accuracy. There was nothing left to count, to take my mind off the drag of each day.

"Ben," Pilot's voice came from the doorway. I hadn't even heard it open but I didn't need to look to see who it was.

"What?" I groaned, already knowing the answer.

"You know the drill," he replied. His tone was firm but I'd heard it too many times now. "Time to go."

I stretched my neck up from the pillow. "Where's Chris?"

"Not here."

"I thought you two were a package deal now," I tried to joke.

"Ben."

I scrunched my face and pushed out my bottom lip. "Just five more minutes?" I pleaded, sarcasm dripping from my words.

"Ben, for both our sake, don't make this more difficult than it needs to be."

I swung my legs over the side of the bed, not wanting him to come into the room.

"Alright," I said, pulling my shoes on. I dropped my gaze to the floor as I passed him and my head swam from moving too quickly. "I feel like you've lost your sense of humour though."

*

The space was bright. Lights hung at evenly spaced intervals across the ceiling, touching every dark corner of the room. Nobody could ever hide in here. Every piece of furniture was white and symmetrical and the urge to move something grew each time I came here.

At first, I'd played along. It seemed like everything was working as it should've been and I didn't mind it. Then, they started telling me less about how they were progressing, they wouldn't let me into the lab alone anymore and all of a sudden all they needed was blood. Nothing more, nothing less. They refused to let me, Chris, or Apollo back to Carnelian on account that it would be a waste of resources. So, we'd been left in the dark.

Julia stood beside the reclining chair that Mike led me towards. She was no longer a Junior, she practically ran the show with Mike leading from the side-lines. He placed a firm hand against my shoulder which I shrugged off.

"I haven't lost my ability to walk yet," I mumbled.

He only responded by walking closer behind, breathing down my neck. They always seemed nervous on collection days and I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't like I put up much of a fight.

"Ben," Julia greeted. "How have you been feeling?"

It was an empty question. I'd soon learned they didn't actually care about the answer that followed, they'd take my blood regardless.

"Yeah... Whatever," I shrugged as I climbed up onto the disposable sheet. "Let's just get this over with," I added, rolling up my sleeve.

She sat down and rolled herself towards me holding out her open palm. I gave her my right index finger and she took it tightly.

The device she held pricked the tip of my finger but I didn't flinch. I'd felt it too many times now.

"Ow," I muttered, deadpan.

A pair of gloved hands squeezed the drop of blood that oozed out and she dropped it into a small container of pale blue liquid. It sunk to the bottom as it always did.