12: naming chapters is hard but im trying:(

I strolled into a room where Team Kakashi was receiving our first mission.

"Y/n!! You're late!" Naruto yelled.

"We waited forever for you!" Sakura called.

"I can't believe we got paired with someone who's even less responsible than Kakashi-sensei!" Naruto huffed.

I ignored their outbursts and looked at Iruka who was sitting next to Tsunade, "Hi Iruka. I know I said I'd see you soon, but I didn't think it would be this soon."

He laughed a bit, "Well, I'm glad to see you."

"You two know each other?" Kakashi asked coldly.

"We ran into him at Ichiraku last night and then he offered to walk me home," I shrugged. "What mission did we get assigned?"

"Some C-rank mission! Can you believe that!?" Naruto yelled out. I tried to focus on Naruto, but Kakashi's eyes were drilling into me. I could practically feel the irritation oozing off of him.

Was he upset that Iruka walked me home? Was he mad that I was late? I can't really figure him out...

Just then, a message was delivered to Tsunade and everyone's eyes grew wide as they looked at the letter in terror.

"What happened!?" Naruto called.

"It seems the Kazekage has been taken prisoner by the Akatsuki. It looks like the Sand Village has requested our help."

A look of anger and determination spread across Naruto's face. Kakashi had redirected his attention to the Hokage. And I felt nothing but a broken heart.

They're back... Which means Itachi is back to committing whatever horrible crimes they have planned— continually slipping further into the darkness.

"Are you sending Team Kakashi?" Shizune asked.

"I don't have time to get another team together, so yes. Team Kakashi, you will go. However, Y/n..." she trailed off. "Y/n, I'm keeping you behind."

"What!? Why would you do that?!" I yelled out, completely taken back by her decision. "I know Gaara. I've been working with the sand. I'm strong enough to fight the Akatsuki!"

"I have fought Akatsuki members! It would make the most sense to send me!!"

She stared at me in silence, her hands crossed in front of her. As I looked into her eyes, I finally understood.

"Y-you don't trust me?" I asked softly, making everyone in Team Kakashi snap their heads towards me.

"Y/n. It's too risky. Jiraiya told me about some of the events over the past few years. I can't afford to have you around any of the Akatsuki members. It's not safe for you or anyone else."

"That was a mistake," I hissed at her, ignoring the confusion of everyone else.

"Well, until those mistakes quit happening, it's a top concern of mine."

I was seething now. I couldn't believe this was her response. Gaara needed me. Hell, this entire village needed me to help protect them. And I wasn't about to let them down now.

"I'm going after them regardless," I said in a calm voice.

She sighed, "Jiraiya told me you would say that."

"It's been over a year, Tsunade," I told her firmly. "You can trust me. I'll keep everyone safe."

"We don't have time for this, Y/n. You three, get going to the Sand Village. You are to remain there and listen to their orders."