32: Revenge

**all the chapters i'm about to release are hella angsty & sad bc that's my vibe lately. if u don't want that, the next drop of chapters will be normal again

thanks for readingggg**

••••

"W-what?" I asked with wide eyes as I stared at Tsunade.

"The Akatsuki members, right before they came for you, they killed Asuma," she repeated in a low voice, tears teasing her eyes.

I bit down on the inside of my cheek, tasting a small drip of blood as I refused to ease up the pressure. My eyes slammed shut, tears trickling down against my will.

I grabbed onto the sheets of the hospital bed I found myself in. Shikamaru and his team managed to get me back to the village before I bled out. I felt so guilty that they had to save me right after losing Asuma.

I should've killed those Akatsuki members. I should've made them pay. I'm strong enough. I just wasn't focused enough. I let them get away...

Tsunade said she spent hours healing me, but she still managed to somehow save my life. Kakuzu was only inches away from piercing my heart.

He was probably a bit disoriented from my own attack when he struck me, and I just happened to get lucky.

"I-I have to go see Shikamaru," I mumbled as I wiped my tears, getting ready to take off the blankets.

All things aside, Asuma was a really great friend of mine too. We could talk about anything together, but even still, there were people I loved that were a lot closer to him. Shikamaru. Kurenai. Kakashi.

I needed to be there for them.

"Y/n," her voice was absolutely broken as she said my name. "T-that's not all."

A million thoughts rushed through my mind. Did something happen to Shikamaru? Was it something with Kakashi? My parents?

I didn't even know what to expect, but my body was already trembling with anxiety. Just the tone of her voice was enough to make me squirm.

"I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this," she looked up at me. "But I can't keep it from you."

"Tsunade," my voice cracked. "Is Kakashi ok?"

She nodded, "Yes, Kakashi is fine. No one is handling the news of Asuma well, but he's alive and uninjured."

"Ok," I muttered, feeling at least a bit relieved. "Where's Kurenai?"

She shook her head, "Kurenai is another story. She'll need you, Y/n."

"Of course."

"And you should know she's pregnant," Tsunade added.

My heart broke when she said that. Kurenai would be raising Asuma's child without him. I couldn't even imagine what she was going through.

Now I desperately needed to get out of this damn hospital. Too many people were in need of love and support for me to stay here helplessly.

I knew I wouldn't be fighting anytime soon with my injuries, but I could force myself to walk around and be there for everyone else. I had to.

Shikamaru must be heartbroken. Kurenai and I had become close friends over the past year. And Kakashi, I'm sure he was hurting too. He loved Asuma so much.

"I really need to go see her, so what did you need to say?" I edged her on.

I watched the hesitation and sadness on her face, confused as to why she kept looking at me like that.