31: Zombies

The sun was setting as I ate my dinner, sitting in the beautiful garden of the the Fire Temple. These last few days had been slow, and there was a quiet sadness drifting through the air.

I couldn't believe the amount of death and damage I found when I arrived. I helped them build and clean up as much as I could throughout the day while patrolling the areas at night.

Hopefully, after another day or two, I'd be able to go back home. But Shikamaru and his team hadn't found really any leads. They knew the two akatsuki members took Chiriku's body for a bounty, but not much else was known.

I felt so bad for Asuma. Chiriku was his friend from his days in the Shinobi Guardian Twelve. I couldn't imagine the pain he was feeling. No matter how many people you lost, it never got any easier.

I group of small children ran up to me, all laughing and giggling with each other as they played.

"Miss, will you make more butterflies!?"

I smiled at them all, "Of course."

I wasn't supposed to use my jutsu, but I had been playing with the kids a lot. And it was fun to watch their amazement.

I brought my hands together, creating small butterflies as I pulled my hands apart. They were just shadows, but I made them look so realistic, causing them to fly around.

It was so cute to watch the kids chase after them, laughing with delight. There was so much to learn from children. They brightened up everything.

Part of me couldn't wait to be a mom, but that would definitely have to wait. I had so much to accomplish before that could even be a thought of mine.

Plus, I can't imagine my parent's reaction if I got pregnant by Kakashi, especially outside of marriage. Honestly it might be worth it just to watch that shit show unfold.

"Is there anything you need before your patrol Y/n?" a young monk walked up to ask me.

I shook my head as I stood, "No, thank you. I really appreciate it though."

He smiled and bowed his head before continuing on. Everyone here was so kind and welcoming, despite the tragedy they had just faced.

I strolled around the perimeter of the temple, shoving my hands in my pocket as the night breeze sent me shivering. Just like every other night, it was peaceful.

The small rush of a stream floated to my ears, mixing with the sounds of crickets and a nearby owl. Someday, I'd love to settle down in the countryside.

Maybe when I'm finally finished being a shinobi. Maybe when our kids are all grown and shinobis themselves.

My ears perked up as I heard a strange rummaging sound in the distance. It was probably just an animal, but this is what I was here for, so I made my way over towards the noise.

"Hey beautiful," a voice called from the nearby tree line.

I immediately got into an attack stance, whipping around to face in the same direction. I watched carefully as two figures in hooded robes walked out of the shadows and into the dimly lit night.

It was the two men I saw at their hideout when I tried to find Itachi. The one with the slicked back grey hair is who just called out to me, the other one with piercing green eyes just stared menacingly.

"So you're the two who attacked the temple?" I asked.

"How ya been sweetheart?" the annoying one smirked, ignoring me completely. "Did you ever find Itachi?"